Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Free Golf for all (if only)???

Posted by: user22898 | Sun 12th Aug 2007 11:07 | Last Reply

I’m starting to wonder if I’m the only person paying for golf.  I’m sure this isn’t true, but whenever I finish a round I usually see at least one or two other players pull into the car park, get there gear ready and then walk straight towards the first tee; it does bug me that there are so many free loaders in our game.

Why don’t courses employ wardens/marshals anymore?  What they are saving in those small salaries, there must be a higher impact in lost revenue (and also a more congested course).  I can only think of one course I play where green fee tickets are regularly inspected; and I do occasionally play the ‘nicer’ courses too.  I have challenged this issue in a few pro shops and they realise it is a problem on their course, but seem unwilling (or unable) to do anything about it.  I even queried it with one course which does have a marshal, as he only concentrates on the 18-hole course.

My attitude to courses who try to encourage me to join as a member is now: once you start carrying our regular or even random ticket inspections I might consider it, but why would I consider it before that as you have so many people playing the same game as I, but for free?

Rant over

Cheers
Keith

re: Free Golf for all (if only)???
user52922
Reply : Sun 12th Aug 2007 23:14

This thread has only confirmed what I have been saying all along. Standards are dropping fast in this game.

John

re: Free Golf for all (if only)???
user26342
Reply : Wed 15th Aug 2007 14:08

Paul,

Where is your course I might pop in for a round!!!!

J. 

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top