Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Clean clubs

Posted by: user369251 | Tue 31st Jan 2012 12:57 | Last Reply

How often does everyone thoroughly clean their clubs, and do you find annoying when someone pulls out a club that looks like it hasn't been cleaned ever, or is that just me?

re: Clean clubs
user80078
Reply : Tue 31st Jan 2012 13:44

I never start a round with dirty clubs. It's not something that would even occur to me. (must be my naval background, where cleanliness of equipment was paramount). I am happy to see an opponent with dirty clubs on the first. Tells you something, doesn't  it. 

user289859
Reply : Tue 31st Jan 2012 14:40

I try to wipe and clean mine after every shot, and if it is a particularly wet round, I'll take them home to make sure that they are dried thoroughly.  Irons can be an expensive piece of equipment, so they need to be taken care of.  I don't put them in iron covers though...that's just too far!

user369251
Reply : Tue 31st Jan 2012 14:59

Matthew - I was duped into buying iron covers, to prevent the clubs getting scratched... Playing off mats over winter = scratched clubs. Pointless purchase! So I've done away with them now. I, like you, wipe after every shot, and will give them a good clean once a week or every fortnight at the latest. It's a therpeutic way of relieving th stresses of business and fatherhood!

user99350
Reply : Tue 31st Jan 2012 15:03

Yes, don't leave wet irons in the garage (when persimmon woods were about they'd swell up if left in their covers)  and make sure your grooves are cler of dried mud.

user250721
Reply : Tue 31st Jan 2012 16:35

Mine get cleaned in warm soapy water with and cleaning brush after every round without fail. Its part of my routine when I get home.

I get in, put my score on here then straight to the garage with a bowl of water and give them a good clean.

I figure if I look after them, they will look after me.

user410273
Reply : Tue 31st Jan 2012 18:17

They get a good wipe after every shot, and occasionally before if I've picked up a bit of dirt from a practice swing. After the round they end up in my locker till the next time I'm playing

user430247
Reply : Tue 31st Jan 2012 20:39

all way give my clubs the 1s over when i get home , then put them in the spare room nice and warm,

user217280
Reply : Thu 2nd Feb 2012 15:47

Club heads need to be clean and the grooves free from dirt, you can not expect to get any control or spin if the grooves are full of dirt. I wipe my clubs after every shot and I check that the grooves are clean before I play a shot. if not then I have a groove cleaner that I will use before taking the shot.  

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top