Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Which handicap?

Posted by: user355541 | Wed 18th Jan 2012 15:14 | Last Reply

Just curious. Which handicap do you show on your sig if you have a CONGU  handicap and a Golfshake handicap and why?

re: Which handicap?
user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Wed 18th Jan 2012 15:34

Which sig ? 

Technically CONGU is only handicap in the UK that can be called 'Official'

user355541
Reply : Wed 18th Jan 2012 15:37

I meant the bit on top of your posting - the line below your name.

user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Wed 18th Jan 2012 15:44

CONGU.  If you go to the score tracker section and then the score tracker tools you should be able to go to the manul adjustment part and pop in a handicap.

Probably shouldn't show but the site was born out of providing score tracking way back 10 years ago so was originally more score,stats and handicap focused.

user338942
Reply : Thu 19th Jan 2012 13:08

I use Golfshake as a social handicap, for playing society golf etc, then CONGU for proper comps and matchplays........  just so happens that both have remained on 13 for the 18 months I've been on here

user106712
Reply : Thu 19th Jan 2012 14:53

If you have a congu handicap and a society handicap then you should use the lowest of the two when playing in society comps and congu only when playing club comps and opens etc.

user38216
Reply : Thu 19th Jan 2012 16:35

For golfshake events I would say 3/4 of Congu would be fair or GS handicap for those without an official handicap.

user21179
Reply : Thu 19th Jan 2012 16:42

those were the good old days Darren. Scoretracker.co.uk !

user355541
Reply : Sat 21st Jan 2012 09:12

David

Why 3/4 of CONGU handicap? Surely your handicap is a measure of your playing ability. Why should you be reduced in this way?

user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Sun 22nd Jan 2012 12:25

Tim, good old days yes indeed.

In general players that have a club handicap and play regular club competitions but also track all the social rounds here actually find that the handicaps are pretty much inline.

The club system does have the plus point that a competition takes into account CSS so arguably conditions on the day are taken into account. 

Major flaw is that in the UK club handicaps are only relevant to that particular club and there is no way to really convert club to club.

I've analysed a lot of our data and have yet been able to find a realistic solution to improve the handicaps. JP posted on another thread and offered a great idea based around number of pars scored but again this would work best on a club handicap.

user355541
Reply : Mon 23rd Jan 2012 07:57

The argument that handicaps are relevant only to each individual club does not hold water. The current method of setting SSS sets a level playing field as far as that is possible. What confuses the issue is home advantage - if 2 players of the same level from different clubs play each other, the advantage is always going to go to the one who plays that course 52 weeks of the year.

user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Mon 23rd Jan 2012 08:30

In my opinion SSS as you say can only set a level playing field as far as possible and is nothing like the US system which tries to set the overall difficultly of a course to a set standard.

Fully agree re home advantage but what about when 2 players from different clubs play a course independent to them both.

user355541
Reply : Mon 23rd Jan 2012 12:10

For a true comparison, both players would have to be in similar mental and physical condition and both able to perform at their current handicap level.

To my certain knowledge that kind of situation does not occur in golf!

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top