Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Easy way to improve your driving distance

Posted by: user420026 | Wed 18th Jan 2012 12:14 | Last Reply

Can I suggest to anyone wanting to brag about their driving distance that they do what I did yesterday; tee off at 8:00am when the ground was rock hard with frost/ice. My usual drives stop at about 225 - 240 yards, but yesterday they were bouncing out to 280 - 300 yards. I can now brag to my mates that I've hit a 300 yard drive! Slightly sad I appreciate and I will be disappointed come the better weather, but it made me smile none the less (don't forget to warm your balls - ooer).

Last edit : Wed 18th Jan 2012 13:57
re: Easy way to improve your driving distance
user369251
Reply : Wed 18th Jan 2012 13:29

I played Monday mate, exact same thing! hitting absolute bombs, leaving some par 4's with just a chip on. Works against you when you're trying to chip on though, and it just keeps going

user99350
Reply : Wed 18th Jan 2012 13:38

That's if your fairways are ok, on some courses you get bounces at right angles when it's rock solid.

user24437
Reply : Wed 18th Jan 2012 14:22

Beat me to it Pat.  Hit a stonking drive at the weekend, just over the trees to split the fairway only to see it turn 45 degrees right and end up under the tree on the right hand side.  Dammit

user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Wed 18th Jan 2012 14:43

All my eagles (well 2 of them) have come from these types of conditions  

Love it!

user250721
Reply : Wed 18th Jan 2012 16:11

The closest I cam to an eagle was with the wind behind me when I hit my driver through the green (298 yard par 4)

user21179
Reply : Wed 18th Jan 2012 17:22

I was off at 9.04 on monday and it was magical out on the course

All the water hazards were frozen and it was completely white for over an hour !

I would gladly trade the extra distance you were talking about for being able to hold a green or putt properly !

I will remember the first hour of the round for a long time.

user80078
Reply : Thu 19th Jan 2012 14:38

How come you guys are allowed on your courses when the ground is hard with frost? Is it common, as my course is automatically closed in frost conditions. I thought this was the norm. 

user24437
Reply : Thu 19th Jan 2012 14:52

Not playing the right courses Michael.  Last year we played on a course that was so solid with ice one of our colleagues played a shot from the middle of a water hazard.  Lucky he was wearing metal spikes..

user16106
Reply : Thu 19th Jan 2012 20:29

I once hit an 8 iron 300 yds. Across a frozen lake, hit the ice at about 140 then rolled all the way to the other side. 300yds , measured it on google earth. Saaaaaaad.

Dave CAC handed Geordie.

user99350
Reply : Fri 20th Jan 2012 09:22

I remeber that one Tim and saw Malcolm play the shot...good result too. On the last hole that day at Thorne the lake at the front of the green was also rock solid, like the green, the only way you could stay on the green was to chip onto the frozen lake for it to bounce on. I've got to say that CGL always finds a game whatever the conditions.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top