Tee Times | Search | Reviews

News:

Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Golf and Fitness - do they go together ?

Posted by: user8 [FORUM MODERATOR] | Mon 5th Dec 2011 08:46 | Last Reply

Interesting debate in this month's Todays Golfer around whether fitness is an important part of golf or just another drain on time in an already busy life.

the PGA now have a specific focus around fitness/health handicap.  plus there are many training aids on the market focused around golf and fitness such as the Power Hip Rotator and Golf Band.

What are your thoughts ?

and no replies about Guiness

Last edit : Mon 5th Dec 2011 08:47
re: Golf and Fitness - do they go together ?
user410273
Reply : Tue 6th Dec 2011 16:53

As in all things, there's a basic level of fitness needed for any sport/pastime, and what a fit golfer is as opposed to a marathon runner is two very different things. I dare says there's any number of golfers that once upon a time played football/rugby/cricket/tennis but now couldn't last 5 minutes on the pitch/court. 

And then there's the stamina aspect of golf. 36 holes in a day, a 2 day comp, a 3 day comp etc...

To play 18 holes well, i.e. post a good score, no you don't have to be fit. To play 36 holes in a day, or a multi-day comp, then yes fitness is an issue.

user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Tue 6th Dec 2011 17:01

Nice and balanced and very similar to the TG debate.

Colin is spot on with regular and also Brian's assessment, I'm sure I couldn't do 36 holes carrying in a day   If you don't play regular and don't partake in any regular fitness then it will show.

user406037
Reply : Wed 7th Dec 2011 00:20

I beleive that the fitter i am getting the better my golf is getting also, I packed up my passion of fishing to get back playing golf to help get my fitness back. i found when i was doing 18 holes when first starting again i was getting tired towards the end of the round and then falling asleep when getting home, but now i am in the gym and lost weight ect, my fitness is pretty good and i have noticed i am more relaxed and have more energy when taking my shots and when i am approaching my shots. I think Mental fatigue is also a big factor in golf and if we play well or not.

user430457
Reply : Thu 16th Feb 2012 16:25

I found playing my first round today since new years day and having done nothing more vigorous than walking the dog and eating loads at Christmas that it felt like a bit of an effort. I also looked ridiculous in my Under Armour base layer!

Sips of water at every tee seem to make a difference too.

user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Fri 17th Feb 2012 14:05

First round of 2012 and since Nov 2011, roughly the time I kicked off a mild fitness campaign with some running (not Olympic standard mind) and some weight/stretching focused for golf.

I have to say I feel remarkably fresh afterwards, didn't tire at the final few holes like I do normally and could notice a major difference with my swing/rotation having been using the Golfband product.  Difficult to judge with the cold but probaby had an extra 5-10yards.

Just need to keep it up now!

user24437
Reply : Fri 17th Feb 2012 15:10

Managed to get the drives out to 110 yards now then Darren?

Seriously though, fitness is a subjective thing.  Having just done 6 rounds in 6 days in the Algarve I found that I was getting tired towards the end of the last two rounds to the extent where I just couldn't hit my driver whereas in the first couple of rounds it was alarmingly straight and on the fairway everytime.  However, that was after a week of carrying my bag (which weighs in at 14.5kg all up - ask Ron Devereaux who tried to get it out of the car!) over courses with some decent changes in elevation, and in my experience there are some people I know who wouldn't be able to manage one round under those circumstances.  So, I consider myself only reasonably fit but that's only in comparison to my youth.

Carrying for 36 holes in a day?  Piece of cake. 

user26342
Reply : Fri 17th Feb 2012 20:02

However, that was after a week of carrying my bag (which weighs in at 14.5kg all up )?

It can't be doing your back or knees any good carrying all that weight fit or unfit?

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top