Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Debate: GPS device, iPhone, Laser, None

Posted by: user8 [FORUM MODERATOR] | Wed 30th Nov 2011 21:24 | Last Reply

I've recently tested and reviewed a Laser Range Finder, previously tested GPS devices and have just put up this series of videos on using a Laser Range Finder for course management.

But for some fun, what do you use and why ?

re: Debate: GPS device, iPhone, Laser, None
user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Wed 30th Nov 2011 21:25

To kick off.

Nothing, currently trying to focus on judging myself and visualising shots.  I am swayed to Lasers over GPS though

user338942
Reply : Thu 1st Dec 2011 11:57

Lasers are good until you come to a dog-leg or a tree is in the way (quite common for me) I use GolfShot for iphone - £20 app works like a £300 GPS unit

user289859
Reply : Thu 1st Dec 2011 13:15

I used to use the Golfshot GPS app on my iphone, however, the total near-annhilation of the battery and the fact it can't be used in competition swayed me to Laser.  I have recently bought a Bushnell Tour V2, and absolutely love it. Distances to pins, and it can give distances to dog-legs etc as well.  My distance perception has never been great, so it really helps.  Can be a lot more aggressive as well when knowing an exact distance

user338942
Reply : Thu 1st Dec 2011 13:34

GPS can be used in any competition that a laser sight can, unless theres local rules involved.As for the battery, is tends to burn about half of it over the 4 hours.

user356537
Reply : Thu 1st Dec 2011 14:11

Dave, I think Matt was referring to the use of Golfshot GPS on a smartphone.  Whilst in widespread use in competitions such use may well be illegal.

I took a team of juniors from my club to play in the EGU's Junior Champion Club tournament at Woodhall Spa back in August.  The following is taken from the EGU's Player Infomation Sheet:

Mobile Phones used as a DMD: If you use a mobile phone as a DMD, the phone must
not have any other feature or downloaded application which can gauge or measure other
conditions that might affect your play, for example gradient (e.g. a spirit level function),
windspeed or temperature. If the phone has any such non-conforming feature or
downloaded application, regardless of whether it is used and regardless of whether it is
in some way “switched off”, you will be disqualified. If in doubt, don’t use the phone
as a DMD.

My iPhone has a weather app which I can't delete which makes it illegal for me to use my phone as a DMD in competition golf.  It's a shame because Golfshot is a great low cost GPS application.

Richard

user356537
Reply : Thu 1st Dec 2011 14:55

Here is my take on GPS v Laser.

Let me start by saying that I own both a Bushnell and a SkyCaddie 2.5G.

I purchased the Bushnell originally and, at first, was really impressed with it (other than the battery running out with virtually no warning when out on the course!).  However, as time went by there were certain features that started to get a bit annoying.  For example, the Bushnell is marvellous at giving a very accurate distance to the flag (provided you can see it.) However, it is just as happy giving you the distance to the tree that might be just behind the green.  Normally common sense tells you when it has picked up something other than the flag but sometimes a bad yardage might slip past without being noticed – especially when playing a course you do not know so well.  One of the biggest drawbacks I found with the Bushnell, is that it wasn’t brilliant at giving you the distance to either clear or lay up short of a hazard off the tee or perhaps with a second shot to a par 5.

I could probably have lived with these drawbacks but in the hands of my (at the time) 11 year old son the device was dangerous.  He could be stood next to the 150 marker but if he picked up something behind the green (which is so easily done) he would believe the yardage because how can a laser be wrong?  I decided it was time to switch to a GPS unit.  At the time of my purchase, approx 3 years ago, the SkyCaddie was about the only serious option available.

I’ve just got the (now) very basic 2.5G but it does the job well.  Of course, you only get a yardage to front-middle-back but I’ve never found that to be a problem and you can move the crosshairs to the relevant spot on the green if you want. The big benefit of GPS is that you don’t need to be able to see the pin to get a yardage and it is really good at giving distances to hazards and lay up options.  Generally, it is much quicker to use than GPS as it only takes a moment to glance at the screen. 

The downside with the SkyCaddie is that you have to pay an annual sub.  It’s a bit of a luxury but I do feel that the accuracy of the SkyCaddie can’t be matched by the aerial mapping methods used by other systems.  I play very little golf away from my home club but my son makes up for it.  We’ve downloaded more than 110 courses in the last three years!

Conclusion: If I could only have one device it would definitely be the GPS.  The Bushnell now lives a drawer and only sees the light of day when my son forgets to charge the SkyCaddie!

user410273
Reply : Thu 1st Dec 2011 16:02

I have a Skycaddie 2.5. It rarely get's used on my home course but comes in handy when playing away. For me its lay up yardages from hazards and distances to the back of a green, i.e. how much room before it hits rubbish.

I tried a Bushnell on a windy day... maybe it was me but it was next to useless under those conditions.

user38216
Reply : Thu 1st Dec 2011 16:04

Skycaddie 2.5 for all the above reasons.  I still have to hit the shot but it has really helped my game. However, its very much like satnav. I used to read road maps all the time to get around from place to place all day (job) and now i drive around taking not much notice of the route im using, how i got there etc.  Its a bit like that with Sky caddie, the day I forgot to take it I felt lost on the course, it was like my comfort blanket had been removed. Sad I know but true!

user52922
Reply : Thu 1st Dec 2011 16:49

None for me, I don't play the mechanical way so yardages are irrelevant.

user16106
Reply : Fri 2nd Dec 2011 12:28

I have a sureshot. £30 for lifetime subs. Can have 40 changable courses. Love it !

I have had a bushell and found it hard to pick up the flag on a windless day. But good for seeing if the group in front are out of range.

Dave CAC handed Geordie.

user77012
Reply : Fri 2nd Dec 2011 18:09

Richard ,whats your take on juniors growing up using measuring devices with the potential for them to lose feel and the ability to judge distance? I suspect the current crop of young superstars started playing pre measuring equipment albiet they've been around a few years now. What about the next generation?

user356537
Reply : Sat 3rd Dec 2011 18:25

Dave

I have mixed views to be honest.

On the positive side I am sure that the use of DMD's has speeded up play.  You no longer see the top juniors pacing out the distance from the nearest 150 yd marker or, even worse, pacing out the yardage to the flag from 70+ yards out.

For me, the big downside is seeing juniors with 20, 30, 40 or 50 yards left in and using a DMD to get a yardage.  Call me old fashioned but I do think that sort of distance has to be down to feel and judgement.  That said, when I had a moan about my own son using a Bushnell on our very short par 3 course (longest hole 96 yards) I got a right telling off from his coach so I have relented!

Like so much modern technology there are pros and cons.

Richard

user26342
Reply : Sun 4th Dec 2011 17:57

GPS all the way except from 100yards in when feel & control take over.

user353915
Reply : Tue 6th Dec 2011 14:23

I've used Golfshot on the iPhone for about a year now, a great app most of the time but of occasions it becomes a little like 'The Proce is Right' in that it offers you a yardage and then starts counting down to the actual distance! I had an intersting experience recently where my playing partner used the same application and on a few occasions whilst standing in the same spot on the course, both devices offered quiote differing yardages? It begs a few questions! 

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top