Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Does equipment really help your game?

Posted by: user437159 | Thu 24th Nov 2011 19:29 | Last Reply

I've always been told that a good golfer can play with any sort of clubs. Yet always wondered to myself is this true? Why do people spend thousands on clubs every year if it could all be a myth? I have only been playing just over a year as a junior golfer, playing off 23. My question came to mind when i tested the new Ping g20 irons. I am swapping from wilson staff to ping in december. But the fitter - to my surprise - said a good ball striker/golfer can play with any clubs. Big brands are always saying "You can knock so many shots off your game with this new driver or irons"

To conclude can anyone tell me with there own experience if it really can knock shots off your golf game?

re: Does equipment really help your game?
user249902
Reply : Fri 25th Nov 2011 05:42

To an extent YES.

Game Improvement clubs (Ping G series , Mizuno MX series) will help high handicapper because the sweet spot is bigger than that of a muscle back or bladed club. Poor shots are not punished as much either. When your game improves then it my be worth trying a different club.

re: Does equipment really help your game?
user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Sat 26th Nov 2011 12:08

Liam, a good golfer can use any clubs because they can feel how the club swing and adjust their swing to suit.  Something us normal golfers cannot do!

As a junior golfer with a 23 handicap I would suggest some game improver irons, but have them custom fitted.

At your age you will find that you might be changing clubs every year as you get taller.

Find the golf clubs that will help your game and get them fitted to your swing.

Russ

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top