Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Do you pack up in Winter ?

Posted by: user8 [FORUM MODERATOR] | Thu 27th Oct 2011 08:03 | Last Reply

With the nights drawing in, the clocks about to change in the UK and the colder weather, do now start to think less about golf ?

Do you pack up your clubs until Spring ?

Do you use the winter to work on your game not playing a full round but practising more ?

Would love to hear your thoughts.

re: Do you pack up in Winter ?
user410273
Reply : Thu 27th Oct 2011 08:34

If its not raining on the 1st tee I'll play. If we're in the middle of a really bad spell I might knock it on the head for a couple of weeks.

user124316
Reply : Thu 27th Oct 2011 09:11

I dont pack up, i play less maybe 3 times a month rather than my wishful 6-7, i tend to spend more time on the range practising however last winter had my best round ever a 2 over 74, no temp greens or mats in play, only thing was very hard fairways which was fantastic as i was hitting 330yards+ off the tee, stopping the ball was a whole different challenge.

user26342
Reply : Thu 27th Oct 2011 12:45

STOP.......are you mad?

This is when all the fairy fair weather golfers hibernate & you can get round the course in just over 3 hours

If temp greens are in play also it's a good test & practice for your short game skills.

user250721
Reply : Thu 27th Oct 2011 15:16

I dont mind the cold, tend to enjoy it less if its lashing down, but give up for a couple of months? No no no.

Like others will probably play less though.

user24437
Reply : Thu 27th Oct 2011 15:31

Not a chance, I'll soldier on through as long as a course is playable.  In fact, one of the funniest and most enjoyable rounds I played last Winter was when it was around -4°C at Thorne - the ground was frozen so solid it was impossible to get a divot (or even mark the grass!) and the whole experience was like playing a baked hard links course - lots of bump and runs.  Had to laugh when someone actually played their ball from the middle of a frozen solid pond..

user390191
Reply : Thu 27th Oct 2011 16:35

i will try to play as much as i can over the winter played in frost that was fun bit of rain well that can happen in the summer we dont get

user320021
Reply : Thu 27th Oct 2011 20:02

As a nomadic golfer I'm likely to play a lot less. Paying a green fee and finding the course may be in bad condition, temp greens or mats is very frustrating. But when I was a member I still played about the same number of rounds, just more of them were friendies than comps.

user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Thu 27th Oct 2011 21:24

I carry on playing and as Minch drains well it tends not to get too boggy.  I do tend to use the range more as daylight is the issue and if I want to have any lessons I do it in the winter months so I can work on the changes ready for the spring

user217280
Reply : Fri 28th Oct 2011 14:48

No I keep playing as much as I can, I tend to play with only a half set of clubs, odds one week, evens the next, or take out the woods and only play with irons, it  means I have to play different shots, a draw to get a little more distance or a fade to take a bit off, because you dont have all the clubs available you don't have any choice. It just adds a little something to the game when the weather is poor  

user77012
Reply : Sat 29th Oct 2011 16:47

After todays course condition seriously considering it,,,very wet in places.

user79118
Reply : Sat 29th Oct 2011 22:05

I don't stop playing either, just play less. Tend not to bother too much about scores when the course is frozen but concentrate on making good contact with the ball where possible and a good flight on the ball. Everything else is a lottery after that.  I'ii play in the wind, the rain and the cold but not all 3 at once. Only play when wind and rain together in a comp, not for pleasure.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top