Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

and for my nxt rant

Posted by: user419282 | Wed 7th Sep 2011 18:05 | Last Reply

hi guys again could someone help me with this one,ive had 7 lessons in the last 6 months,im very happy with the way things are going,my swing grip and everything has changed from when i first started playing,what i want to ask is ive been filling some stat sheets in lately for my pro,and clearly they say were im going wrong its the gir i just cannot reach that far on my second shot,is this something i will learn in time with keep having lessons or should i be happy with just getting on the green in 3,i went duxbury park on sun and hit 1 gir out of 18

re: and for my nxt rant
user52922
Reply : Wed 7th Sep 2011 18:39

Problems are there to be overcome, if they cannot be overcome then they are no longer a problem. Jason, if you can't reach (Like me) then you just have to accept that and play accordingly. After all you do have plenty of shots to make up for this.

user410273
Reply : Wed 7th Sep 2011 18:56

If you're playing to your handicap occasionally, and in general are playing fairly consistently I'd stop getting too hung up on stats. They're indicators not absolutes.

My last last two rounds are 50% GIR and a gross score of 6 over, and 22% for a gross score of 5 over. Two rounds previously I had 61% GIR, i.e. 2 more greens, and scored 2 under gross.

The score is definitive, not the stats. 

user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Wed 7th Sep 2011 21:48

Jason,

With your handicap, I wouldn't be bothered about GIR.  On par 4's, I would be aiming to get it close with your second shot so you can almost guarantee hitting it with your third.  This will give you a par putt on every hole.  Occaisionally they will drop, but even if you two putt every one you will still be playing to 18, 5 shots below your current handicap

user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Sat 10th Sep 2011 15:55

Jason, there isn't a problem.

Your handicap is 23, so therefore you get a shot on each hole, with two shots on some holes.

This means you are expected to be on the green in three shot on a par four hole, so where is the problem?

As your handicap comes down you will find that you are striking the ball much better, so you will be getting more distance from each club.

Each time you go out try and beat your handicap, not the par for the course.

Keep beating your handicap and it will come down, then your problems will start.

I'm playing off 14 at the moment, which means I have to par four of the holes on my course, and bogey the rest to play to my handicap.  Sometimes I do this, but most of the time I don't!

Russ

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top