Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Technology - Where should it stop?

Posted by: user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR] | Mon 5th Sep 2011 23:08 | Last Reply

Exactly what the title says.  What should be allowed?  What is making the game more about science and less about sport?

• GPS - You can pace it out so is it really making a difference
  • Cavity backed irons - Is it stopping players learning how to strike the ball properly or just making the game more enjoyable for the masses?
  • Massive drivers - Are they replacing ability with science?
  • Electric trollies - Are they just for the lazy?
  • Multi-layer balls - Why?  A rubber ball with a plastic cover works, why do we need 3, 4 or even 5 piece balls?

Just some starter subjects there.  Feel free to add your own and debate.  ALL OPINIONS ARE VALID.  Don't get personal with each other.  Sensible debate

re: Technology - Where should it stop?
user52922
Reply : Mon 5th Sep 2011 23:13

GPS, adds nothing to the game whatsoever, the average player is not skilled enough to be able to take advantage of the knowledge.

Cavity backed irons do make off centre strikes look reasonabley good, but give very little satisfaction.

Massive drivers should be banned.

Electric Trollies slow the game up, but then, no one wants to play golf at a reasonable pace anymore, anyway.

Multi layer balls are not new, a return to wound balls and balata would really make the game interesting again.

user407798
Reply : Tue 6th Sep 2011 00:21

Umm well looks like the only one I don't use is an electric trolley. Where's the door?

This though is clearly why I am not yet a tour player and need to rectify this omission pronto Or I guess I could pay somebody to lug them round for me, clean them, line up putts, tell me yardages, positions of bunkers, operate the GPS etc. etc.

Seriously I just saw on Twitter the editor of Golf Monthly is calling for a ban on long putters given the latest win with one just now by Webb Simpson over in the USA so we can stick that on the list too. Being 6'4.5" a long putter could well suit me anyway! Do they help too much then? Never seen anybody using one.

Another crime to golfing purity of mine is owning a 4 iron hybrid and currently lack a 3 iron in my bag altogether. Sure I could go on - supposedly waterproof Nike golf shoes.

user26342
Reply : Tue 6th Sep 2011 07:22

Chris,

All of the above you mention in the right hands will help / improve your game. Times are changing & even the R&A are acknowledging this by changing / adding new rules all the time.

I think before people criticise them they should try them, how else can you base an informed decision??

I'll continue to use whatever I see fit to make this game enjoyable, in my opinion, & won't be swayed by anyone.

user115085
Reply : Tue 6th Sep 2011 10:40

GPS - You can pace it out so is it really making a difference.

You can pace it out if you have reliable markers and guides, which at the majority of courses I play we do not. The gps gives you the yardage as you approach your ball so in the right hands speeds up the game.

Cavity backed irons - Is it stopping players learning how to strike the ball properly or just making the game more enjoyable for the masses? 

It's reasonable to say that without the revenue from the masses, golf courses would close and become the luxury of the wealthy. Personally I play bladed irons, but also carry a hybrid...diff tools for diff jobs imo.

Massive drivers - Are they replacing ability with science?

To some extent yes, but I don't think that's a bad thing if more people enjoy the game. There is equipment for everyone if you look beyond the mass market replicas of each competitor.

Electric trollies - Are they just for the lazy?

Don't use one myself but don't have any issue with them tbh. Helpful for those who would struggle to carry. 

Multi-layer balls - Why? A rubber ball with a plastic cover works, why do we need 3, 4 or even 5 piece balls?

That's a little like saying a Daewoo Matiz works fine, why would you want something else?

user26342
Reply : Tue 6th Sep 2011 12:29

I'm find it quite interesting how some players think that switching to bladed / progressive bladed will improve their game?

I think if we were to look at the majority of the pros on the European tour they probably don't play with bladed clubs??

There is a member at my course & he switched from cavity back to the Pro Combos. He did this because his handicap was dropping & he was enjoying his golf. Six months down the line his handicap has increased & he is at the verge of giving up because he can't hit them!!!!

Before switching I would recommend custom fitting. Works everytime

user52922
Reply : Tue 6th Sep 2011 12:39

John,

I'm find it quite interesting how some players think that switching to bladed / progressive bladed will improve their game?

You also might find it interesting that when only blades were made that the standard of play overall was far superior to that of today.

I think if we were to look at the majority of the pros on the European tour they probably don't play with bladed clubs??

This is because the modern game is played through the air and only straight shots are needed.

There is a member at my course & he switched from cavity back to the Pro Combos. He did this because his handicap was dropping & he was enjoying his golf. Six months down the line his handicap has increased & he is at the verge of giving up because he can't hit them!!!!

Correct me if I am wrong but I thought I could remember you yourself playing with the Nike Pro Combos, or am I mixiong you up with Wayne.

Before switching I would recommend custom fitting. Works everytime

Probably good for ones ego, but will not make that much difference to anyones game.

user52922
Reply : Tue 6th Sep 2011 12:58

Ivan, so what you are trying to say is that I would have been a better player than scratch with all this newly introduced technology. I doubt it. I really cannot see a spine aligned club  making me able to shoot 63 instead of a 64 at The Berkshire (Red).

This technology might be necessary in the world of Long Driving, especially when your fairway is only forty yards wide and you have to be on it to score.

user26342
Reply : Tue 6th Sep 2011 13:29

John,

You are correct I was playing with the Pro Combo's & my game wasn't going anywhere. Don't get me wrong, good shots were good but slightly mis-hit shots were very bad. That set had the S300 shafts in them which was totally wrong for me.

I got custom fitted for the Ping i15's & I've never looked back. This combined with lessons has seen my handicap drop a hole shot & if not for a few bad course management decisions would of been a lot more.

Can't disagree that the game years ago was probably better played but the game has opened itself up to the masses which can only be good for the sport overall.

user52922
Reply : Tue 6th Sep 2011 13:38

Until people of my age are in their box, we will always have these differences of opinion, John.

No one would be more thrilled than me to see you really move your handicap down, but I have now known you for four years and, even with all this new equipment that you seem to rave about, you have not taken that great leap forward into single figures, which I know you are well capable of doing.

Perhaps your course management is the problem.

I really would like to see you down there before I pop off.

user26342
Reply : Tue 6th Sep 2011 13:53

John,

If I was to enter all my 'social' games into golfshake I would probably be near to single figures. The problem is being a member of a club the monthly medals are only every month from April to October.

So even if I can make all of these dates, & bearing in mind the courses are recovering from the winter in the first few months, I need to be shooting under my handicap under medal conditions. You also have to take into account the SS on the day. Some months I have shot a few under my hcap but the SS has been lowered so really no big change.

I have just moved clubs & there is almost a qualifying comp on every weekend so I'm hoping to play a lot more competitive golf so I'll see what I can do to make your wish come true

user77012
Reply : Tue 6th Sep 2011 14:25

John, I remember your game improving with the Nikes,you certainley hit them very well when I played with youbroken hearthttp://www.golfshake.com/scripts/ckeditor/plugins/smiley/images/broken_heart.gif" title="broken heart" width="20" /> . Nothing like falling in love with a new set though is therehearthttp://www.golfshake.com/scripts/ckeditor/plugins/smiley/images/heart.gif" title="heart" width="20" /> Never thought Id find love in a 23yr old set!

Don't think I will ever play a cavity club again, mind numbingly boring !! (you have to be a blade player to understand that statement)smileyhttp://www.golfshake.com/scripts/ckeditor/plugins/smiley/images/regular_smile.gif" title="smiley" width="20" /> Thaks JP.

user52922
Reply : Tue 6th Sep 2011 16:01

Ivan, I am not using a driver, currently, as I have no faith in the ones I possess.

I will have to pop up to you soon, as I know you would be able to help me.

user410273
Reply : Tue 6th Sep 2011 16:26

Technology makes a difference for us mere mortals but in reality our h'cap negates the opportunity to knock it round in less than 60. There is the odd amatuer who knocks it over fairway bunkers, and most pro's, but courses are getting longer to compensate. Again, go back 30 years and some amatuers and most pro's knocked it over anyway.

Blades 'v' cavities; blades make working the ball a lot easier, assuming you're capable but the modern ball also resists going off line... I must have a bad batchcryinghttp://www.golfshake.com/scripts/ckeditor/plugins/smiley/images/cry_smile.gif" title="crying" width="20" />

Big headed drivers; they help the higher handicappers more, and good luck to them, but its harder to work a ball of the bu99ers. The one you find you can fade with is invariably harder to draw with.

GPS makes little difference to us amatuers but hey, just like belly putters et al, they add to the hype and fun.

Elec trolleys; thank god for them. At 18 I could do 54 holes a day carrying. Now, thanks to age and infirmity I can manage 54 holes a month and thats with using an elec trolley. If it wasn't for elec trolleys I wouldn't still be playing... but why the macho who carrys and who trolleys anyway??

user26342
Reply : Tue 6th Sep 2011 16:51

Again, have to disagree that GPS makes little difference to us amateurs, I suppose it depends on the make & model, my Skycaddie SGX is superb.It's like having a little caddie with you

@Dave Ley - Was hitting the Nikes well when my game was spot on, the problems started when I wasn't firing on all cyclinders.

I do take them up the range now & again as I do think hitting a ball out of the middle of a forged club is a sweet feeling.

@Sanders - yes, only use things allowed by the R&A.

user77012
Reply : Thu 8th Sep 2011 15:03

The only Technology I think that can really help your game is the amount of slow-mo swings that are available to watch, be it putting ,chipping or full swings . Visualisation is paramount in our ability to learn we're born with it unfortunately as we get older it's not so natural ,but can be tapped into.

user77012
Reply : Thu 8th Sep 2011 18:39

Colin , I think you may be waiting sometime for answers on this one , devilhttp://www.golfshake.com/scripts/ckeditor/plugins/smiley/images/devil_smile.gif" title="devil" width="20" />

user52922
Reply : Thu 8th Sep 2011 19:14

Their handicaps tell you the answer, Colin.

user52922
Reply : Thu 8th Sep 2011 19:59

With a very gullible public, times will never change when it comes to the latest model of golf club with all the marketing hype attached to it.

It is interesting that the better strikers of a golf ball can hit my very old persimmon, the exact same distance as their 460cc monstrosity, Dave Ley will confirm this, as he has used my old wooden clubs.

Of course with the shortages of persimmon wood and the available craftsmen capable of making them, manufacturers, in their infinite wisdom, decided on the metal race, and that is exactly what it is, a race to keep one step ahead of the opposition. The game, and the new players to this wonderful game have suffered for this. There is no such thing as finesse as it cannot be produced with the equipment of thye day.

Of course if one has never played with the old equipment they do not realise what they have been missing.

user38216
Reply : Thu 8th Sep 2011 20:41

I haven't been on these forums for a while and I now know why. The lack of respect for other peoples opinions is poor to say the least. Live and let live, be that with a trolley, gps, blades blah blah blah.

Yes I could carry my blades, persimmon and balatas around in a bag that tugs on my shoulder, scratching my head to find a yardage, I might even like it. But ill pass this time.

user52922
Reply : Thu 8th Sep 2011 20:44

Exactly the attitude that has dragged this game down.

user26342
Reply : Thu 8th Sep 2011 20:50

Colin,

I think I have answered most of these questions in the other thread so I won't repeat them again.

Hiow close do you get to the flag with all your shots into the green? On some occasions about an inch like tonight when I almost eagles our par5 3rd. 

Almost an Eagle!!

What was your strike rate for the above when not using gps and just calculating or wildly guessing the distances? Not as much as it is now which is why I use it. But at least I can answer this, you on the other hand only have experience of not using one so can't give a biased opinion.

Are you going to stop using your hybrid as they are obviously for the lesser player who cannot hit long irons??

Anserwed quick enough for you?

Last edit : Thu 8th Sep 2011 22:58
user410273
Reply : Thu 8th Sep 2011 21:03

John, I know we've touched on this before, and I dearly love my Titliest persimmon, but I'd rather fool myself into thinking I'm still half decent and play with modern technology. At the end of the day golf is about the lowest score.

However, the feel of a sweetly struck blade is just fantastic but sadly one not struck quite right doesn't do any favours. I wouldn't go back to blades but I'd like to, and I just wouldn't go back to a persimmon driver full stop.

user38216
Reply : Thu 8th Sep 2011 21:03

The game hasn't been dragged anywhere. Its just not the preserve of the elite any more, surely a good thing.

user52922
Reply : Thu 8th Sep 2011 22:07

It never was the game of the elite, Dave. I was a trucker, hardly an elitist job, wouldn't you say.

user52922
Reply : Thu 8th Sep 2011 22:10

Brian, I am quite sure that with your current handicap you would most certainly be able to still play with persimmons and blades.

I parted with my blades only about a year or so ago and they went to a good home. our own David Ley now uses them and he is a beautiful striker of a golf ball. If only his short game could match his long game.

user38216
Reply : Fri 9th Sep 2011 17:31

JP - maybe its more about atitude rather than status.

user52922
Reply : Fri 9th Sep 2011 17:58

You may well be right, David.

user52922
Reply : Sat 10th Sep 2011 11:30

Whatever one's background, when at the club, ALL golfers behaved as gentlemen and there lies a fundamental difference to today's 'players.'

You have hit the nail right on the head there, Ivan.

user38216
Reply : Sat 10th Sep 2011 16:51

I would have to agree on the behaviour point of view. I have just joined a new course to save a  few quid and althrough it is nice and close to home, the standards are low, not in play but behaviour. Players jumping in front of me to play from any tee near the club house that was "free" at the time.  I fear it might be a little to early to make a complaint to the club secretary!

Back to my point, I have ben criticised for embracing new technology, I don't understand why. Are some of the players that love the old equipment still hand washing their clothes or using a horse and cart to get to work. No.  Times do move on and a little mutual respect goes a long way in my book.

user52922
Reply : Sat 10th Sep 2011 17:36

I don't think anyone is criticising you David, just differing opinions on whether the new technology is making any difference, apart from out of your wallet.

The new players to this game do not wish to hear about the history and records of this game down the years, no one is interested in reading about Henry Cotton whot shot 65 round Royal St, Georges in 1934, it is just dismissed out of hand, yet this alone goes some way to confirming the belief that the game, with all its new technology still cannot better those of yesteryear.

In fact, if they were still competing today, they would still be at the top.

As regards to hand washing I have quite a few items of clothing that have never seen a washer or drier. They tend to last longer that way. Old army boys know how to do a bit of dhobying.

Last edit : Sat 10th Sep 2011 17:47
user410273
Reply : Sun 11th Sep 2011 00:09

I had the pleasure of Alex Hay's company a number of years back. I'll let you youngsters Google who he was. We got to discussing modern technology and the differences it has made down the years.

I can't quote him exactly so please excuse my paraphrasing.

The biggest difference in golf in the last 40 years was going from the 1.62 ball to the American 1.68 size golf ball. If you could play the 1.62, playing the bigger ball made the game so much easier.

But what about the new drivers and cavity irons?

As with everything, technology will make virtually no difference if you can't swing the club properly.

For me that nails the argument. Take whatever you want out on the course but if you haven't got the skill you aren't going to post the numbers.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top