Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Hi! & Handicap Question

Posted by: user395315 | Thu 18th Aug 2011 09:08 | Last Reply

Hi,

I'm new to the forums, and come to you with a common question, but first a little about me; I've started playing again the last 12 months following a break of 10 years! I've come back stronger than I was (always >28 hcp) and have started to tackle the elements of the game that hammered me when I was younger ...... namely the dreaded slice with the big bat! My scores are gradually improving, and in recent weeks an element of consistancy has crept into my game. Although every now and then there's a "yip" followed by "FORE RIGHT!"

My handicap has been steadily reducing and currently stands at 26.4, although i'm a little confused with recent results. Last night for example, I posted a 94 (Gross) on a Par 70, SSS 68. I haven't received a reduction in handicap, and wondered if that relates to the SSS of 68? Clearly gross vs. par gives a two shot reduction on my handicap. However, gross vs. SSS matches my handicap. As for the round, it could have been a >90 if it wasn't for a 9 on the par 5 third, and back to back 7's on the final 2 holes!!

I wondered if anyone could shed some light on this, and any help would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks in advance,

Mark (26.4)

re: Hi! & Handicap Question
user34817
Reply : Thu 18th Aug 2011 09:24

Hi Mark,

Your handicap is indeed calculated using the SSS of the course rather than the par therefore you would need to score a gross 93 off of your handicap in order to receive a 0.4 cut.

Keep practicing and it will keep coming down.

Richard

user407798
Reply : Mon 22nd Aug 2011 02:53

If you got a 9 and a few 7s, shouldn't they have been cut back to just double bogey for handicap purposes under the "nett double bogey" adjustments as it says at http://www.golfshake.com/help/golf-handicap/

Assuming the 7s were on par 4s then that should made your 94 a 90 and surely you should have been cut. Or am I missing something???

When I first started playing in the early 90s they did not have this rule and it was always frustrating for mid handicappers (like me!) as one or two bad holes could wipe out an otherwise good round. In fact I think I largely got disillusioned with the sport as a result as I got "stuck" at 19. I've only now back to it this year but having finally completed 3 full rounds jumped to a 14 on golfshake.

user407798
Reply : Mon 22nd Aug 2011 14:26

Ah reading http://www.golfshake.com/help/golf-handicap/ again I missed that it is nett double bogey not gross.

One assumes then on that 9 on a par 5 you were getting 2 shots so you were then only 2 over on net. Guess similar for the 7s. So actually looks like all your shots did in fact "count" this time round.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top