Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Join Me In A Giggle

Posted by: user405848 | Mon 1st Aug 2011 11:58 | Last Reply

So I had a unusual experience on the golf course this Saturday.  And no I didn't say Beetlejuice three times or anything like that.  I was on the 9th hole at the Market Rasen Racecourse.  A 285 yard par 4.  I was playing alongside my dad.  And in front (on the 9th green) were my dad's friends.  Five us were there in total hence a group of three and two.

The tee shot is blind with trees and a pond to the left and the entire hole slopes to the right quite considerably.  The three ball were looking for a lost ball half way up the fairway.  Right at the crest of the hill.  When the walked slightly further forward they were over the crest and invisible to us from the tee.  We gave them 15 minutes to finish.  "They must be gone by now Dad," I said.  "Yeah definitely, I'll hit one up."  He teed off and put a superb drawing long iron shot right in the middle of the fairway.

So I came to the tee with my driver.  I was averaging about 250 yards for the day.  Not hitting many fairways though.  "I'll just slow it down and try to make a nice contact," I thought to myself.  So I did.  I took a very relaxed swing and the ball took off like a rocket.  Over the crest of the hill it went.  Slightly left of centre.  "I didn't see that one go, I missed it," my Dad told me. "It's okay I've got a line on it, I should be able to find it no problem," I replied.

My Dad played his second shot by default.  I hit a driver, he hit and iron so it would obviously be him to hit first.  We couldn't see my ball at all.  So we walk further up and one of my Dad's mates walks onto the green with a ball in his hand.  He puts it on the green and pulls a marker away.  "IS THAT MINE????!!"  I shouted.  Very confused and slightly excited at the same time. 

"Yeah it is you dosey B*****D!" he kindly replied.  "What were you thinking?!  We hadn't left the green!"  he added.

"We both thought you had finished.  And secondly I had no intention of hitting this far!"  I pleaded.

He walked away without saying anything and my Dad went over to try and clear the air.  They had after all spent 30 minutes on one hole!

Funny thing is my ball actually hit him in the bum while he was putting!  God knows how far it would've gone if his rear hadn't have been in the way.  I odubt very much it hit him hard.  I'm not a massive hitter.  I just got lucky this time.  Once the ball is over the crest of the hill it's all down hill from there.  My ball must have just caught the down slope on a funny angle and took off from there.

I had my first ever eagle putt and missed it by an inch.  I was 15 feet away from the hole and I was so excited and mad at the same time for that stupid arguement between my dad and his mates.  But hey a 280 yard drive and an a**ehole in one ain't bad.

Everything settled down between my dad and his mates very quickly and everyone was friends in the pub afterwards.  Reading this back I guess anyone reading this might not find my story funny, but looking back I laugh.  You probably just had to be there.     

re: Join Me In A Giggle
user26342
Reply : Mon 1st Aug 2011 18:09

30mins to play 1 hole!! Even if they spent 5 mins looking for a ball each that still leaves 15mins to play a short par 4.

How come's the 3 ball were playing in front of you?

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top