Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Beginner needs 1.5" longer shafts, where to start

Posted by: user401498 | Sat 2nd Jul 2011 10:28 | Last Reply

Hi Golfshake community,

This is my first post. I've searched the forum for similar questions, but can't find any. 

I am 6'3" and have a 39" wrist to floor measurement. Apparently I need a 1.5" longer shaft than regular clubs (according to learnaboutgolf dot com). The handful of online golf stores I've looked occasionally mention a 1" extra length, but length doesn't appear to be an option on these sites. 

Any ideas of where I might have better luck, or opinions on whether a 1" would be fine, will be much appreciated. 

I'm a beginniner with a beginner's budget. Am thinking I probably only need a half set to begin with.

Thanks in advance!

Steve

re: Beginner needs 1.5" longer shafts, where to start
user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Sat 2nd Jul 2011 17:06

Steve, you are going about this in completely the wrong way.

Buy a standard set of golf clubs, with standard length shaft.  All you need to do is bend you knees a bit more than you should!      

On the serious side.  Most of the club manufacturers will custom fit you golf clubs. 

Once you find a set of golf clubs you like then get custom fitted for them.  All the big golf shops will do this for free.

When I went to Mizuno to be custom fitted for my MP68's they advised me to get the clubs with the shaft a quarter of an inch longer than standard.  This surprised me as I'm five foot ten!  But to be honest I haven't had a problem with them at all.  The extra length on the shaft might be to do with the fact that I have an upright stance.

Hope this helps.

Russ

Last edit : Sat 2nd Jul 2011 17:08

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top