Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Par for Pro events

Posted by: user259181 | Tue 25th Jan 2011 19:34 | Last Reply

I was thinking the other day that there must have been lots of great courses that fell off the pro circuit due to not having big money to pay for an event and also lengthen the course to suit the modern pro. Also I'm sure there are lots of places that simply didn't have the space to lengthen where 'needed'.

Now if balls or clubs are not going to be adjusted to shorten the length of a drive or sweetly struck 3 iron.....how about reducing par for the pro events? Make the almost certain birdy par 5's par 4's and have some really testing par 3's instead of simple par 4's

If at the end of three days you are 10 under...great going. At the end of the day the only thing I could see being damaged are the ego of some pro's. The winner will still be the winner if it's par 72 or 67  - but it could stop the need for some great courses to be dropped or ruined and maybe make some old greats an attractive challenge again

re: Par for Pro events
user52922
Reply : Tue 25th Jan 2011 20:54

There is not enough accommodation around the old courses to supply the demand for, not only  the competitiors, but also the paying public. This is why we have to be bored to tears watching them play these USGA spec courses like Celtic Manor., The Belfry and others of the same ilk. Look at the rubbish course they have just played in the UAE, not a patch on the desert ones in Phonix AZ.

Also the good clubs are really only interested in ensuring their members enjoy their game and could not care less about the pro game.

Groups like de vere have the accommodation but some of their courses are not that special. They seem pretty desperate now, I received an email last week inviting me to join at Wokefield Park G.C as a seven day member for £590 and they would also throw in a £230 leisure membership. As I said, desperate times indeed.

re: Par for Pro events
user202037 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Tue 25th Jan 2011 22:47

Lewis,

There is a course not far from you that was a regular stop on the European Tour. It is not long, but it is tight. It lost its appeal because 1. It couldn't cope with the modern corporate side that came with it. 2. Its long time sponsor was banned.

That is Fulford GC home to The Benson & Hedges Internatioal. It was held in conjunction with a Meeting at York Racecourse, a fantastic week. I saw Palmer, Snead, Sanders plus all the regulars there.

TheLyth

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top