Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

2 Questions

Posted by: user274973 | Fri 3rd Dec 2010 01:11 | Last Reply

I'm relatively new to the game and this is my first post.  I'm still getting to grips with the number of different events the Pro's are involved in, but still need a couple of questions clearing up if anyone can help?

First of all, what is the difference between the PGA Tour and European Tour?  I mean, is the PGA Tour a better tour to be on?  And does that mean the better golfers play on the PGA tour?  And how is it decided who plays on what tour?

Also, whoever wins the FedEx cup gets a 5 year exemption on the PGA Tour?  What exactly does that mean?

I've tried numerous websites to find out the answers to the above, but so far have been unsuccessful, so if anyone can clear these things up it would be appreciated.  Thank you

re: 2 Questions
user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Fri 3rd Dec 2010 08:29

I'll try to answer your questions as best as a I can.

Two Tours

There are two main tours in the world.  The European Tour and the PGA.  All this means is that one tour is in Europe and the other is in America.  They have expanded a bit so each tour could technically be played in any country in the world!

I don't think one tour is better than the other, but it appears there is more money to be won on the PGA tour which is why so many players prefer to play there. 

Not sure on how you qualify for each tour, but I think you have to be in the top so many players in the world to be able to play.  You can be invited to play on the PGA tour.  And then there is the qualifying school.

FedEx Cup

If you win the FedEx Cup then you get a five year excemption.  All this means is that you are on the PGA tour for the next five years.  You don't have to qualify, win anything, etc. 

Hope this helps, and I'm sure if anything is wrong then somebody will be along shortly to put me right!

Russ

user202037 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Fri 3rd Dec 2010 10:09

Chris,

Just to expand on Russells post.

There are a number of different organisations all over the world that run Golf Tournaments. The main two are The European Tour and The PGA Tour, some European Tour events are "Co-Sanctioned" with The Asian Tour and you will hear that term a lot between now and March next year.

Pro Golf also has a number of League type Tours too. Here in Europe we also have The Challenge Tour (2nd tier), The Europa Tour (3rd tier) and the PGA have Regional Events too. It is almost like Football, finish high enough in your League and get promoted. The only difference is that you can also try and qualify for a Tour at Q-School.

I would just sit back and enjoy watching the Golf, whatever Tour.

TheLyth

user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Fri 3rd Dec 2010 10:33

Agreed Dave but lots of talk now on which is the best tour with players no longer feeling the need to play on the PGA TOur, great for Europe!

user16163
Reply : Fri 3rd Dec 2010 14:29

Personally i think that the majority of players play on the pga tour because it is predominantly based in the usa and have beautiful sunshine for the majority of events

not like europe with our dismal weather

user274973
Reply : Fri 3rd Dec 2010 17:16

Thanks everyone for clearing that up for me. 

I thought that was the case in relation to the PGA and European Tour and where they are played, but I think what threw me was the fact that the other day I was watching a European Tour event in somewhere like Asia! 

Chris

user26342
Reply : Fri 3rd Dec 2010 21:41

Just to add that players can play on both tours BUT must fulfil the minimum amount of games required to keep their card for the next year.

Anthony Kim has just been refused his European card on the basis that since his return from injury he hasn't made any effort to play in any European tour events.

user274973
Reply : Fri 3rd Dec 2010 22:34

That's an interesting point.  I thought it was one tour or the other.

Can they just pick and chose which event they play then?  I'm sure sometimes there's European events being played at the same time as PGA Tour events, so they can't play in both events at the same time. 

Another question I have is reference the FedEx cup.  I understand that you have the 4 playoff's near the end of the season where the field is reduced after each one, but does every regular event leading up to the playoffs count towards the FedEx cup, or is it just selected one's?

Chris

Last edit : Sat 4th Dec 2010 01:37

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top