Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Which Major would you choose?

Posted by: user264761 [FORUM MODERATOR] | Wed 18th Aug 2010 09:30 | Last Reply

Simple, If you were to win one Major in your Tour career which one would it be and why? And in some cases what course would you like to do it on?

re: Which Major would you choose?
user11501
Reply : Wed 18th Aug 2010 09:45

Easy. The Masters at Augusta closely followed by the US Open at Pebble Beech

Why,

The Masters is just the most fantastic event ever. And the US Open at that course with the course setup they have in the US Open would be awesome.

I will say however, that there is not a lot to choose between any of the majors and the Open Championship is equally up there with the two I have mentioned. You will probably fing the USPGA comes bottom of the list as the others are considered to be more prestigious. But a major IS a major.

user52922
Reply : Wed 18th Aug 2010 10:08

I would have to disagree, Martin, just for the simple fact that the Masters is not an Open but a selected field, which weakens the strength of the field somewhat. It is also played on a course that is wide open off the tee and its only saving grace is the fast and tricky greens. The best putter that week always wins the Masters, whereas at our Open one has to play golf as well.

If you were to play Pebble Beach, as I have, then you will be pretty disappointed.

So my choice would be the Open at Royal St. Georges, a true test.

Last edit : Wed 18th Aug 2010 11:26
user77012
Reply : Wed 18th Aug 2010 10:33

I was giong to say when are we going there John ,but just looked at the green fee's,

user264761 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Wed 18th Aug 2010 11:19

How much are we looking at Dave?

user52922
Reply : Wed 18th Aug 2010 11:29

This is a great golf course with only 2 of the four par 3's under 200 yards and only one par four under 400 yards. I am of the opinion that it is currently the toughest test on the Open rota and I still rate Henry Cotton's 65 in the 1934 Open without doubt one of the finest rounds played.

user77012
Reply : Wed 18th Aug 2010 11:30

Adam , quite salty at £140 for 18 holes or £180 a day ticket ouch! you would have to be playing well before considering that amout of money

http://www.royalstgeorges.com/index.lasso?pg=5429b9f39bc695af&cl=1&catid=d005262951cdfeb3&mp=901
24bbc07843504 

user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Wed 18th Aug 2010 11:34

I read somewhere a quote from a commentator saying "If Pebble Beach was 5 miles inland you whould never have heard of it, let alone it be on the US Open rota"

user52922
Reply : Wed 18th Aug 2010 11:38

Correct, Chris, that has been said and I am afraid I have to agree with whoever said it.

user264761 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Wed 18th Aug 2010 11:43

Interesting about Pebble, is it really not that great John?

I think I'll get saving Dave! :-)

user202037 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Wed 18th Aug 2010 13:44

Which Major to win is easy, THE OPEN.

Which Course, is more difficult, but I would take any of them. If I had to pick one, then I would go for Troon. St Andrews has 'The History of Golf', Troon 'The History of The Open'. I think that the town of Troon welcomes the Championship and the Golfers in a warmer way than any other venue.

I have had the luck to play most of The Open courses, both set-up for an Open and in normal play. The difference is amazing, specially the 18th's. Royal Birkdale seems to stay very similar in both cases, followed closely by St Andrews. Hoylake had holes changed round the last time. .

To play one of The Open rota courses is going to set you back about £200.

TheLyth

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top