Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Damn you, Sir Henry Cotton!

Posted by: user24437 | Mon 17th May 2010 12:22 | Last Reply

I got the chance to re-visit my brothers old club at the weekend, Gosfield Lakes in Essex, which I hadn't played since 2005 when I was pretty new to the game.  The course was, apparently masterminded by Sir Henry Cotton and the 14th, the signature hole, is named Cottons Revenge because it was his favourite.

Buoyed by my recent form I ripped out of the blocks, 10 over par for 28 points after 13 holes and on for a good score.  Cracked my drive off the tee on the 14th which took a good roll to the edge of the fairway leaving me a 130yd shot with a perfect angle to the long, thin green protected by water.  Hit a beautiful 8 iron in, pin high but maybe 2 yards to the right of the target which skipped on the fringe and rolled round into the water.  Dropped shot was then thinned into the back bunker and then from there back into the lake to eventually hole out for an 8!  Slightly lost it on the next par 3 for a five before getting back on track to finish the round as I began with a couple of pars.

Finished with an 88 and 37 points and was gutted!  I know I threw at least 4 shots away on those two holes alone, and it could have been my best ever round (and probably another big handicap cut).  It's a cruel game and Henry Cotton got the better of me this time.  However, will be back there in August......        

re: Damn you, Sir Henry Cotton!
user52922
Reply : Mon 17th May 2010 12:42

Multiply your disappointments by 10, Tim, and you know exactly how I feel.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top