Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Taking the Plunge.....

Posted by: user249572 | Sun 18th Apr 2010 16:28 | Last Reply

Hello all,

Thought it was about time I took the plunge and made my first post. Been playing for just over a year, and love it (great par putt!) and hate it (how did you find the bunker from there?!) more than any sport i've ever been involved with! I had no interest in golf, then in September 2008 I stayed in Vilamoura at a mate's place and played a round at the Laguna course to make up the numbers - and I was hooked! Came back, bought a course of 7 lessons at the local range, a set of clubs and started practicing. In April 2009 had my first round in anger, and have been hacking away ever since. I'm no spring chicken so my golfing targets are reasonable - beat 100 in the first year, 90 in the second, 80 in the third. I shot an 88 on a par 69 last year, so first target achieved. Enjoy reading the banter on this site, and hopefully one day will get to meet a few (or more!) of you. I'll try and get my game into a bit of order, and see if I can help the South regain the NvS trophy next year!!!!!

I'd also like your opinions. Many friends who play to a reasonable standard tell me that the long irons are the most difficult to master, so I bought a set of off-the-peg irons (Cobra FP,5-SW) with this in mind. I use a 3+5 wood, so the gap is not massive at my current level. I figured if I master up to the 5  first (I'm confident up to a 6 now, and am using the 5 a bit more) and when i'm consistently striking it, that's the time to look at buying a fitted set that includes 3+4 irons - basically working my way up.

What do the esteemed shakers think? Is it a reasonable way to go about it?

re: Taking the Plunge.....
user249572
Reply : Sun 18th Apr 2010 16:50

Thanks Wayne - I'm definitely interested in the Algarve, so I'll see whats on the horizon and will confirm within the next couple of weeks.

re: Taking the Plunge.....
user38216
Reply : Sun 18th Apr 2010 18:23

Steve,

You seem like a nice chap, albeit misguided.

There is no way that the south will regain the NVS next year.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top