Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

N'v'S H/C averages

Posted by: user259181 | Sun 24th Jan 2010 16:19 | Last Reply

Just had a flick through the teams and worked out the H/C average across each side. I know not a very scientific way to look at things....but I had a spare minute.

It looks alot closer than one might think (going by the South's bravado)

Unless I got something wrong it is as follows

North Team = 14.752

South Team = 15.495

So very even.

I'm looking forward to this already. Who is going down for the Sunday warm-up? - I'll be there and staying over at the hotel on the Sunday night

re: N'v'S H/C averages
user24437
Reply : Sun 24th Jan 2010 17:12

Did the averages ages ago.  What's would also be interesting to see is the changes in handicap from last year (where applicable), the North have an average drop of 1.5.

user24437
Reply : Sun 24th Jan 2010 17:31

He'll only bite if he remembers to put his teeth in Lewis.

user115085
Reply : Sun 24th Jan 2010 17:32

I'll be down for the Sunday and stopping over. - That reminds me - need to book the monday off work!

user41897
Reply : Sun 24th Jan 2010 17:39

I'll be there on Sunday making final adjustments to my course notes, marking pin positions on my course guide, talking through strategy with my playing partner, caddy and support team and altogether taking it far too seriously.  If other years are anything to go by it won't make a jot of difference.  That said, I do believe our pair were victorious last year...... 

user115085
Reply : Sun 24th Jan 2010 17:45

David - I'll be telling them I can't come in Tuesday as the North Teams victory celebrations continued long into the night

user50657
Reply : Sun 24th Jan 2010 19:40

I'll be travelling down on the Sunday, but won't get there in time for the Sunday comp.

I'm bringing the missus and the newborn (he's only 9 days old), but need to get him into the swing (pardon the pun) of things early on.

Just out of interest is anyone else bringing their partners?

user41897
Reply : Sun 24th Jan 2010 21:37

By way of example of how close it can be it is worth reminding us of the scores in last years N vs S.

Last edit : Sun 24th Jan 2010 21:38
user77012
Reply : Sun 24th Jan 2010 22:15

Stu ,don't you mean Govan,Bottery and Ley last year.......

user52922
Reply : Mon 25th Jan 2010 10:28

You could be lucky, Lewis, and be drawn to play against the old man.

user52922
Reply : Mon 25th Jan 2010 12:55

There was me thinking that a proper draw was used in the pairings. Both captains submitting their pairs and playing order at the same time.

user52922
Reply : Mon 25th Jan 2010 13:39

I am pleased to hear that, David, but I felt some jiggery pokery was going on with some of the matches.

user24437
Reply : Mon 25th Jan 2010 13:57

I hope that's how it happens again this year John.  The only pairings that were fixed were the captains who went out first, and apart from some people requesting early or mid-draw positions, were all completely random.  We both drew up our lists, sent them to Darren and that's how it came out.

It's a shame in a way, because I would love to have a re-match with David and his grandson, but random is the only way. 

Last edit : Mon 25th Jan 2010 13:58
user77012
Reply : Mon 25th Jan 2010 18:01

Only Captain Scarlet is " invincible " didn't you watch the series you Mysterons got zapped every week.

Lewis it will be nice to meet you at the event ,we can have a chat sunday night I will give you some sound advice on matchplay .

user77012
Reply : Mon 25th Jan 2010 18:04

Only Captain Scarlet is " invincible " didn't you watch the series you Mysterons got zapped every week.

Lewis it will be nice to meet you at the event ,we can have a chat sunday night I will give you some sound advice on matchplay .

user38216
Reply : Mon 25th Jan 2010 18:27

Note to North Captain - I'll be happy to go out in one of the first groups to put a point on the board for the mighty North. - David "The Conquerer" Homer!!! Fresh from a 2 & 1 victory yesterday!!!!

user23840
Reply : Mon 25th Jan 2010 18:37

You should do well Dave, with a 19.4 handicap.

user38216
Reply : Mon 25th Jan 2010 18:45

Itll probably be higher than that after March Medal round, roll on the 19.5 (20 HCP).

user77012
Reply : Mon 25th Jan 2010 19:03

Obviously a c@#p short game then !! note to South Team no gimmies for Bubba who will turn to Blubba Watson.

user38216
Reply : Mon 25th Jan 2010 19:32

Lol! Its true, my four pars on the spin on Saturday should have all been birdies.

The only blubbing will be done over a large shandy with a dash. 

user38216
Reply : Mon 25th Jan 2010 19:36

PW - You can be a bandit all day when you're on the same side!!!!!

user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Mon 25th Jan 2010 20:26

Anyone reading this who wants to play then the South team have 1 current spot ?

user26342
Reply : Tue 26th Jan 2010 10:23

Darren,

Have you taken note of everyone's handicap who is attending the NvS & going to stop any manual adjustment or maybe even a max increase before the event?

user52922
Reply : Tue 26th Jan 2010 10:39

I will be playing off my only recognised club handicap. I only put in the good rounds on Golfshake just to cheer myself up. So 16 it will be John. I will of course be providing a handicap certificate from my club to authenticate this.

user26342
Reply : Tue 26th Jan 2010 10:45

John,

I'd never question your handicap. I know you are a winner & you would never feel happy by winning off anything but a true reflection of your abilities.

For people who are a member of a golf club then their handicaps WILL have to apply whether that's higher or lower than their GS one.

It was more aimed at people who fall outside of this category.

user23840
Reply : Tue 26th Jan 2010 11:57

Is that space still there Darren?

user52922
Reply : Tue 26th Jan 2010 14:46

You are a spoilsport, Santo.

user52922
Reply : Tue 26th Jan 2010 17:35

Basically, Lewis, the hard northerners thought that they could drink a southern softie under the table, but unfortunately it did not quite work out the way they thought, as the southern softie, our own captain of the south team this year, Mr David Ley has the capacity to sink vast amounts of draught guiness without it having an affect on him.

They will have learned from this, one would hope, but I feel quite sure they will be suckered again this year.

user77012
Reply : Tue 26th Jan 2010 17:46

"Look into my eyes Lewis, Not around them into them" Haven't the foggiest what there all talkin aboot!

Bad news today guys my hcp as been adjusted by my Home club on reflection of last seasons performances in Medal/Stapleford competions from 8.1 to 9.1, I cannot believe this has happened especially with the forthcoming NvS even with my protestation the hcp comittee would not be swayed especially after recieving my comp results from my 2nd club.Ironically though not swayed to leave my hcp as is,none would take up my offer of playing for money!!!

user77012
Reply : Tue 26th Jan 2010 17:55

I do hope this hasn't mucked up the average Hcp calculations 

user52922
Reply : Tue 26th Jan 2010 18:35

If you wish to play off 28, Lewis, then please feel free.

user52922
Reply : Tue 26th Jan 2010 18:46

Well done. Lewis, a man of honour, a crooked victory is no victory at all. We all like to win but not at any price.

I have lost far more than I have ever won. Of course I have been fortunate to win both my previous N v S encounters. A good partner always helps.

user16163
Reply : Tue 26th Jan 2010 19:34

Lewis.... the story goes

it was me and paul williams enjoying a few cheeky sherbets with mr ley until the wee hours on the monday morning. 

after deciding that mr leys mind tricks wouldnt work and his best efforts to get me feeling rough the next day we decided to go to bed, mr leys room wasnt far away from my room with whom i was sharing with my bro the present north team captain, mr ley decided he was going to have a look at his left handed swing with my bro's right handed driver but seem to get a little confused at which ball to hit and proceeded to slap martin on his rather exposed backside causing some profanities from him and lots of hilarious laughing from me and mr ley (martin did see the funny side in the morning though)

also mr leys efforts were in vain as if i remember rightly i was up bright and early fresh as a daisy for breakfast with mr ley looking more worse for wear.

as for the mind games on the golf they only affected me on the first hole where i promply lost my ball in the rough no more than 60 ft from the tee D'OH, to which my next ball went straight up the fairway to the delight of mr ley with the comment " i have always been told your the best 3 off the tee bloke in golfshake"

and if it wasnt for the most basic of basic schoolboy errors on the 4th hole namely the leaves in the bunker incident we would have won that!!! but hey the records show a 1 hole win to the south and that is that no matter how many if's and but's

all round though a very enjoyable event and you will certainly enjoy it as well

user11501
Reply : Wed 27th Jan 2010 08:50

Now then, I have been quietly watching the posts over the last few weeks and it is now time for the North Captain to speak.

I as captain of the North team for theis years N v S event take great pride in the fact that I will lead a group of golfers who will perform how I know they can. The South's bravado is to be commended however misplaced it may be. 

As regards Mr Ley, my opposing Captain, I wish you luck and hope your team perform for you as you will then have no excuses for the defeat you will undoubtedly suffer. As regards the mind games, they only affect those who are not used to matchplay golf, and he will testify to that I was immune to his guile last year (Unlike my playing partner who has been suitably reprimanded and told I will not tolerate any more of those silly schoolboy mistakes).

The games will be played in the spirit to which they should and the best team will be victorious.

Right, enough of the CRAP - THE SOUTH TEAM WILL GET WALLOPED.

user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Wed 27th Jan 2010 10:40

South team are filling those final few spots.  Just had to decent players to the South list with 2 great golfers ready to join.

This will be an epic match I am sure! especially with the banter starting so early!

user52922
Reply : Wed 27th Jan 2010 12:48

2 - 1 you say eh!!!  Santo, you conveniently forgot the the northerners you loaned to us and then beat, not a victory at all in my opinion. Evemn then it was only one game in it, yet last year the difference between the two sides was vast and will continue in the same vein in future.

user26342
Reply : Wed 27th Jan 2010 13:37

We had to loan you players John because the Southeners were too scared to join in

Darren,

it would be a good idea to maybe have a sheet with a list of 'basic' matchplay rules for old & new players as a reference when out on the course.

John.

user52922
Reply : Wed 27th Jan 2010 13:59

John, I doubt that was the reason, more likely to be that we only have a third of the country to choose from and Belton Woods was a long way north for us southern softies.

I also believe that only the matches between northerners and southerners should have counted as we certainly lost out  to having your loaned players to make an equal number .

user16163
Reply : Wed 27th Jan 2010 14:53

"Unlike my playing partner who has been suitably reprimanded and told I will not tolerate any more of those silly schoolboy mistakes"

ERM EXCUSE ME MR CAPTAIN

this was not due to the mind games

and my shoulders were aching after that match carrying you most of the way!!!!

OH AND YES THE NORTH WILL WIN THIS YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

user52922
Reply : Wed 27th Jan 2010 14:55

I have not said that those northerners playing for the south did not try, I just feel that those that were loaned to us were not your best players. Nothing wrong in that as I am quite sure we would do the same if the boot was on the other foot.

Suffice to say that if either side is short then in my opinion they cannot be a part of the match.

user52922
Reply : Wed 27th Jan 2010 16:17

You complwetely miss the point , Wayne.

Teams, in my era, were normally selected, especially pairings when playing the mickey mouse format of fourball better ball, You gave us complete pairings with no time at all to decide on the best pairings to suit the team throughout  and even to where they play in the batting order, so to speak.

Personally I wouild rather see this match take place over the two days with foursomes on the Sunday and singles on the Monday, Shotgun starts would be ideal on the Monday, becaiuse of the amount of matches.

I say this now because this competition is becoming more serious as the years roll by and sould be treated as such.

user52922
Reply : Wed 27th Jan 2010 19:33

You leave my partner alone, you bully, or we might just fiddle the draw and get to play aginst you and your partner, Wayne. 

user24437
Reply : Wed 27th Jan 2010 20:59

Oooh, handbags!

user16163
Reply : Wed 27th Jan 2010 22:02

yes tim and probably pink ones as well coming from the southern softies!!!!

user52922
Reply : Thu 28th Jan 2010 10:07

Shell suits are from the North, never seen down here apart from Essex, Oh dear, that is where you come from Wayne.

user77012
Reply : Thu 28th Jan 2010 10:50

It's northerners knickers mostly bought and stamped C&A so they know which way round they go!!! 

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top