Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Just made myself unhappy

Posted by: user259181 | Tue 12th Jan 2010 18:05 | Last Reply

Just had a look at my last rounds.....The last time I was able to play was the 8 Dec !!!!! I didn't realise it was that long ago. To top it off I was starting to get in the groove and my score had got down to 89 (Off winter tees) from 103 (off yellows) on 2nd Sept.

I really need/want to get back on the horse and start moving forward again. Hopefully by this time next week the courses will be playable again.....how I miss grass!

For you seasoned fellows, how long does it take you to get back into your groove after a few weeks off?

re: Just made myself unhappy
user52922
Reply : Tue 12th Jan 2010 19:56

Lay-offs either work for you or they don't and I believe that if they don't then it is because you do not have a retentive thought process about how one should swing the club.

I tend to suffer now, not beccause of this, but because my aching bones get locked up with the inaction and they need a little time to unlock themselves.

When I was younger and working hard I have been known to not play for six months because of pressure of work, yet then pop out to the course for a game and shoot 68. All luck of course.

user93554
Reply : Tue 12th Jan 2010 20:19

Gary Player used to say the more he practiced the luckier he got too JP......

user38216
Reply : Tue 12th Jan 2010 20:34

I still play crap even after a lay off!  Desperate to get out for a knock now though!! This weather is torture.

user52922
Reply : Tue 12th Jan 2010 22:27

No such thing as muscle memory, Lewis, all muscles are controlled by the brain. It is the brain that remembers the feel of a good swing.

I am not a great beleiver in the mental theories that are bandied about now as if they are the be all of end all. Books and videos are made to make money by sales tio the gullible.

If, however, you do feel that it would help you then perhaps our own Mr Wayne Santorini could help, as he is newly qualified in this field.

user264761 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Wed 13th Jan 2010 10:02

Anybody tried indoor golf over the last month or so?

Quite a few around the country and their offering good deals too. Okay it may not be 100% accurate to being out on the beautiful fairways but good fun all the same and you can find yourself playing some of the best courses around the world!

Look out for golfshakes new feature on indoor golf coming soon.

user79118
Reply : Wed 13th Jan 2010 19:51

Lewis,

If I've had a lay off for any reason I find that it usually helps my game as I go out on the course with the intention of not trying to hit the ball as hard as I can and just swing within myself. All is fine until I get over confident and forget about swinging within myself which is when my round starts to deteriorate. If only I could train my brain so that it doesn't get over excited......... You'll be fine mate. Probably be suprised at how natural it all feels when you finally get back out there.

user24437
Reply : Thu 14th Jan 2010 00:11

A few of us from the CGL had a go at Cyber Golf in Nottingham at the weekend.  OK, it's not a substitute for the real thing, given a chance (and only slightly better weather) we would all rather be out on a course.  But it was good fun, lots of banter (11 of us in 3 bays) and a friendly, sociable atmosphere.  And inevitably the competitive instinct surfaced, especially as I shot out the of blocks with a stunning 2 under after 7 holes, ending up with 40 points - at Pebble Beach off the whites!  Yes, I'm the first Cyber Bandit!

It's better and warmer than a driving range and it has a bar and food.  You can take your own clubs but they also had some decent Titleist and Mizuno kit available.

user264761 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Fri 15th Jan 2010 12:23

Glad you had a good time Tim,

Any of you out there that want to find out more about indoor golf have a look at this:

http://www.golfshake.com/news/view/1385/All_you_need_to_know_about_Indoor_Golf.html

user26342
Reply : Fri 15th Jan 2010 14:04

Tim,

Could get a bit embarrasing if you don't make it past the ladies tee & you have to do the forefeit, especially with woman & young kids around

Mind you I suppose there's no chance of you slipping on a muddy bank!!

You do have to finish the hole's off as you would when playing the real thing. Grab your putter and aim towards the red line on screen. In theory, if you hit in and around the line at a good pace you should see your ball drop in the hole, however it is quite hard to get the pace right. Anything with 6ft is a gimme though, so take that and move onto the next hole.

That explains why you were 2 under after 7

Last edit : Fri 15th Jan 2010 14:46

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top