Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Thought Of the Day (10/11/09)

Posted by: user10367 | Tue 10th Nov 2009 11:10 | Last Reply

It's quite possible no one has ever asked you to become aware of the clubface, head and shaft before. But this is the only real key to a consistant swing! Let me ask, "If we do not become aware of where the clubface, head and shaft are, how can we either repeat or change our current swing and ball flight?" Becoming aware of our current alignments is the first step to progress.

re: Thought Of the Day (10/11/09)
user99350
Reply : Tue 10th Nov 2009 13:46

I agree Wayne. I think not enough is mentioned about the clubface: sometimes when I peactice I can be hitting draws and not know whyuntil it dawns on me that the club face is slightly closed. Getting the clubface square is very important and should be the first part of your set up (unless you want to play a fade, drae etc). 

user99350
Reply : Tue 10th Nov 2009 13:46

I agree Wayne. I think not enough is mentioned about the clubface: sometimes when I peactice I can be hitting draws and not know whyuntil it dawns on me that the club face is slightly closed. Getting the clubface square is very important and should be the first part of your set up (unless you want to play a fade, drae etc). 

user52922
Reply : Tue 10th Nov 2009 14:27

Every movement of any part of the body, has a though process. As thoughts stem from the brain then it is obvious that the brain tells the body what parts to move and in what form to move it, being right left up down etc.etc.

If a player has no idea  where the different parts of club are throughout the swing is obviously not tuned into his own game.

The post at 1331 from Waynes is correct in every respect. A well thought out post Wayne in answering Jonny P.

Of course he knows what his club is doing, he would not be as good as he is if he didn't.

user52922
Reply : Tue 10th Nov 2009 14:53

Jonny, of course there are many different planes, swings, tempo's grips, you name it, in the modern game and no one method is better than the next, but, no matter what method you use one has to know all the parts that make up this method so that when it goes wrong, then the correct action to repair the fault can be taken. Perhaps it is this lack of knowledge about your own swing that is preventing you from improving even further.

Even when you clap your hands the two hands do not always strike each other at the same spot every time. I have just tested that.

This game has a few players with quirky actions but overall it is accepted that there really is only one way to play the game and the plane is one of the most important.

user52922
Reply : Tue 10th Nov 2009 15:17

It is interesting reading all the new things you have learned on this new venture of yours, Wayne.

It is refreshing to be reminded of all that I ever learnt about this game from when I first started.

So few ever take an interest in the theory and mechanics of a sound golf swing and wonder why improvement is difficult.

user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Tue 10th Nov 2009 16:31

I think if you are starting from scratch then trying to groove that 'text book' swing is the right thing to do.  However, when you are further down the line in your golfing adventure there is too much already programmed into your muscle memory and unless you want to get to scratch and turn pro it's better to tweak your natural/ingrained swing than go for wholesale changes. 

user52922
Reply : Tue 10th Nov 2009 17:00

As a matter of interest, Jonny, your swing could be considered as pretty Orthodox, by many. Where did your inspiration come from to swing like you do, was it a book, was it a specific pro, amateur, or was it trial and error.

user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Wed 11th Nov 2009 10:51

I agree with you Jonny re square pegs and round holes.  I booked some lessons last year and while it definitely helped he was trying to force me into rebuilding my swing.  Now I know my swing isn't perfect, but I don't plan to try to make the pro-tour I just want to enjoy the game and play it well.  I needed tweaks and pointers to remove minor flaws and he wanted my swing to mirror Tiger's.  That's great for a beginner, but three years into your golfing adventure, it's not going to happen, especially when your build is as far from Tiger's as mine is!  I haven't been back to him. 

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top