Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

How should i feel about this?

Posted by: user16742 | Wed 30th Sep 2009 20:09 | Last Reply

I dont really know how to take this, the club run a match play compertition for higher handicappers, and i was in the final on sunday and won 3&2 . First proper comp i have won. Played a guy i had played before nice and friendly and all i didnt conceed a putt to him on the 13th that was like 3 foot away and he missed it, little grumble from him but nothing to bad then friendly enough and he conceeded on the 16th. Now bear in mind that he had been kicked out of the comp earlier for not plaing his game in time and then reinstated and the only time we could play was 7 that morning I now feel pritty hard done by that i have been accused of cheeting and playing off the wrong handicap and thus disqualified.

I played of 24 on the day him of 19 so i got 5 shots, as i though that i would have got .1 back from the previouse weekends comp taking me to 23.5. It turned out that i had got the .1 back but one of my cards have gone missing from some earlier weekend so i was still of 23.4 .

been up to the club and seen the sheet that they have and yes it says 23.4 but looking at all the entries from me theres 2 weekends where i have not entered a card and im 99.9 % certain that i havnt missed 2 weekends worth of golf and am sure i went out on the 13th  which there is no card in from me according to them.

So i want to know what to do. as im off up tommorrow to see games and handicap guy to find out what has happened to this card. If it was a doubles comp and i didnt get .1 back then fair enough but im sure it was singles.

Im really tempted to jack it in i mean i sloged my guts out in the game to win and dont think the shot in question affected the outcome, but what gets me is anyone who has played with me knows i dont cheat, i DO count my airshots, miss hits, double hits ect and dont try to get drops from imaginarry rabbit scrapings. The amount of rule bending i see going on is unbelivable. and for this to happen is really annoying, i mean the other guy shouldnt even have been in the comp. 

I dont know how i should feel part of me feels really gutted at been disqualified for what could be a honest mistake, or that the club which is more likly have messed up some of my scores.
Part of me feels angry that someone has even questioned my hc.
Part of me thinks i should say **** *** and join another club next year.
I want to feel that this set back will make me better but just not feeling it at the moment.

Im busy going through the diary pencilling in what i was doing each day.

re: How should i feel about this?
user52922
Reply : Wed 30th Sep 2009 20:56

Sounds to me as though the guy was a sore loser especially taking the ffort to find out your real handicap.

Personally. Matt, I would not be bothered because if that is the way he wants to win, then let him. Not worth worrying about.

Technically of course he is correct as it is encumbent on you to make sure what your current club handicap is before playing this type of macth and not assume that the handicap committee will have done everything that they should have done.

You know you won, Matt and that is all that really matters.

user81455
Reply : Wed 30th Sep 2009 21:53

Matt I think John has just about summed it up.  The real prize is that you know on the day you beat him in match play.  A technical disqualification doesn't change that even if it does rob you of a pot or your name on the honours board. 

Unless you are generally unhappy with the club stick with it as you will find sore losers at any club.  Don't be too hard on the handicap secretary if it does turn out to be his mistake as I assume he is a volunteer and anyone can make a slip up.

user202037 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Wed 30th Sep 2009 22:41

Matt,

There are two things that come to me.

ONE - Did you presume that you got the 0.1 back or was it put officially on the Noticeboard. If it was, what was your 'New Hcp'?

TWO - What was your actual Hcp in your last event that was "posted"?

From what you say it looks like "friends of friends". He has been let back in and then you are DQ'd without being asked what you think. That is very bad etiquette from your Club.

TheLyth

user50354
Reply : Thu 1st Oct 2009 08:50

Always check your hcap to see if yours has moved either way.

""assuming"" can get you into an awful mess in any sport.

I don't think it will of been the other player questioning your hcap it is more likely to be the club secretary or hcap secretary or comp secretary doing his/her job correctly by reviewing the winners hcap against what was played off on the day.

The fact that you think some cards have not been input correctly over the last couple of weeks don't exclude the onus on you to check your playing hcap before a comp - it is your fault I am afraid mate...

Take it on the chin mate, you dropped a big blob by ""assuming"" and now must pay the price,

Gutted, yes you will be. I would be but, I would be annoyed with myself for just assuming not anyone else...

There is always next year and win or lose I bet you don't assume again hey..

Onwards and upwards....

user202037 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Thu 1st Oct 2009 11:24

Robbie,

In Match-Plat Events at most Clubs a Players Hcp is not posted with any result, just the Winners name being "put through", so this guys got to have said something behind Matts back.

Matt may have been nieve about what his actual Hcp was and should have had a look at the Noticeboard to check it before starting out, specially in a Final. But the committee should have talked to him before DQing him.

TheLyth

user50354
Reply : Thu 1st Oct 2009 12:09

The hcap aint posted but after the event the hcap secretary will review the winners card and compare the hcap thereon against what it should be and if there is a difference then the ugly dq'd wording comes into play.

I doubt it stems from this lad back stabbing but, ya never know really I suppose...

user50354
Reply : Sat 3rd Oct 2009 10:15

And don't forget your silly hat....

Thats a must - at knotty anyway....

Take ot on the chin and move on mate.....

user77012
Reply : Sat 3rd Oct 2009 11:56

There's another angle to this unfortunate mess, cynical it may be but what if your opponent already new your correct Hcp before you played and kept it to himself after you declared 24? Its a win win for him before you've even tee'd off ?I know  personally I would have checked my opponents and my hcp for myself before the match, I would want to know how many shots I was giving or receiving before the match.A hard and unfortunate lesson to learn ,as if the games not hard enough already.....

user26342
Reply : Mon 5th Oct 2009 14:08

Matt,

as eveyone has said it was technically your fault. What would be interesting to know if is the hole where you got your extra shot as a 'turning point' in the match, i.e did it take you to 2 up or level the match or did he concede the hole etc???

There's always next year.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top