Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Sand in Bunkers

Posted by: user28838 | Wed 16th Sep 2009 21:13 | Last Reply

As someone who has played golf on and off for almost 30 years, is it me or is the condition of bunkers getting worse?

When playing last week we spotted one of those bunker-smoothing contraptions at work. IMHO, these machines do nothing more than flatten the sand into a congelead mud-like substance to the extent that you could feel and hear the club (correctly) hitting the sand behind the ball, only to skid off the thick "mud" into the equator of the ball, resulting in a thin shot into the lip of the bunker, after which the cycle starts again.

I do not recall this happening in the good old days when greenkeepers used rakes. Grrrr!

re: Sand in Bunkers
user28838
Reply : Wed 16th Sep 2009 21:43

Yeah - just realised that!

user52922
Reply : Wed 16th Sep 2009 22:04

I actually played a course today that had excellent bunkers, with a fine silver sand. Unfortunately it wasn't my own course, which are a disgrace.

user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Thu 17th Sep 2009 16:12

This problem is due to 'Money'

Too many man hours in hand raking the bunkers so they send a guy out on a machine.

At my club the bunkers are poor.

Some have sand in them, but it's the wrong type!  Heavy sand full of stones

Other bunkes have hardly any sand in them.  A light covering of sand that is just hiding the mud underneath.  You hit a bunker shot only for you club to be deflected from it's trajectory.

I did speak to the pro at my club once about the bunkers and he said if they put the good sand in them it would just keep blowing away.  So they don't use the good sand but try and get a mixture of good sand and heavier sand.

Russ

user99350
Reply : Fri 18th Sep 2009 08:47

I think you've got to accept that different courses have different bunkrs and I accept that but I think all types of bunkers within a course ie fairway bunkers, greenside bunkers should have the same type and depth of sand. Though you can feel with your feet to a certain extent, it is difficult when it's wet so when you're playing a new couse it's a lottery. You can play the type of shot envisaged but the depth of sand, if guessed incorrectly will result in either a short or long shot.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top