Tee Times | Search | Reviews

News:

Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

30...Just started to play as the summer is ending....

Posted by: user259181 | Tue 25th Aug 2009 13:55 | Last Reply

Hi there,

Well after years of thinking and now that I'm 30 ...I'm finally doing it - I'm taking up golf !!  at the end of the summer....in N.Yorkshire !

I've got my clubs,bag,glove and shoes and some bits and bobs...and have six lessons booked. I've only been down to the range a few times and on the first time I found out very quickly I have a horrible slice. I looked on the t'internet to see what might be up and I've got it down to maybe 3 in ten now that 'badly' slice.

Right now I'm thinking that after my lessons I get as many rounds as poss in be for winter really kicks in...and maybe a couple of rounds if we have some nice winter days. No doubt I'll be on here picking peoples brains too.

See you out there

Lewis

re: 30...Just started to play as the summer is ending....
user24437
Reply : Tue 25th Aug 2009 14:36

Hi Lewis - sounds like a pretty elaborate plan to start up compared to most of us!  My suggestion is to get the lessons out of the way first, at least to try and understand why you're slicing even if you can't immediately cure it.  Then get out on a course, driving ranges are no substitute for the real thing, especially the buzz of standing on the first tee with everyone looking.  It's a great buzz, and although I haven't stopped worrying about making an idiot of myself I've got used to it!

Depends where you are in N. Yorkshire (it's a big place), but if you're interested I'm part of the County Golf League and we play once a month through the winter - specifically on courses that are less affected by bad weather and reasonably priced.  I'm based in Derby but most of the games are in the A1/M1/M18 sort of area.  Drop me a line if you might be interested

re: 30...Just started to play as the summer is ending....
user215495
Reply : Tue 25th Aug 2009 18:22

Hi Lewis , nice game plan , didn't start playing myself till i was 27 , football was my game , but your idea is a good start , better having lessons early than later when you get to many things to work on , i should talk though ,i've only just had first lesson after 10 years playing , my alignment was out ,but now my games coming on, hope you enjoy the game and good luck , happy golfing

G

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top