Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Just had two days at Staverton Park

Posted by: user15152 | Fri 17th Jul 2009 13:39 | Last Reply

Had a fantastic time Wednesday and Thursday at Staverton, myself and 3 other lads booked a short break, we got great value booking the rooms directly with De Vere through their site, we got two twin rooms for £25 each. That worked out to £12.50 a man. Also we then were fortunate as De Vere Belton Woods Members we can book tee-times on the course and its at no cost. So we had two round of golf whilst we were there. A Great Getaway for £12.50 plus some beer money.

The course was nice, greens quite slow, disappointing for a De Vere Venue and recked both my rounds as I never got the pace of them. But the holes and course itself were very nice.

The only gripe I have with the trip was with one of the guys who came. He used to be a member of my club, but left because his attitude didn't fit in. Well in the year since I've seen him he's not changed. On the 3rd Hole, after we had putted out and were walking off the green, wrongly the group behind played and one of them hit him. Only lightly on the hand after the ball had bounced a few times. Well he was off, threatning to wrap clubs round their heads and picking their balls up and chucking them in the pond. We'd only read the article in the paper that morning about the guy jailed for 'Golf Rage' and me and the other two were thinking "here we go."

A Couple of Holes later he's having a bad hole, hit a 2nd ball potentially out of bounds, played a provisional, then missed the green with the provisionally and looked set to carry on, but one lad reminded him if playing his provisional he'd be off the green for 6 because of the penalty. Well next thing he's marked and picked the ball up and it wasn't on the green and he's took off the to find the 1st ball. Now I'm thinking he can't just lift a ball like that and I think technically his pitch into the green that went through was further up the hole then his 1st ball so was technically in play. Well he didn't find the 1st ball and refused to acknowledge a penalty for lifting his 2nd ball when it wasn't on the green.

Then a few holes later, we're playing 2nd shots into a Par 4 over a Hazard. He's not a big hitter so is taking a 5 Wood into it, when I'm looking to hit 8 Iron. He takes the pin on and I watch the ball and it lands on the front edge of the green. I then say "Great Strike" and turn to begin my routine. Then I hear him huffing slamming behind me. I look round and he's there hands on hips glaring at me. Then he says "I can't believe that comment Chris." I'm like what? Turns out his ball had failed to stop on the green, had gone up the bank and then beyond the out of bounds. I didn't see the ball finish just commented on the initial strike. But he's ranting now about commenting on good shots before they've finished. This happened again later in the round when on a Par 3 he came up short in a bunker and whilst in the air one of the lads called it a good shot. He then on this hole wanted to put a Par on his card because we'd said good shot when it wasn't and if he'd hit a good shot he would have made par.

The big thing that got us then was on a Hole where he lost the ball right off the tee into long grass we spent 5 minutes looking for it without luck. the three of us then moved off to play our balls and expected him to move onto his provisional. We played into the green and began walking up to the green when we here him cheering. He'd carried on looking and was now holding high his ball (Supposedly his ball how could any of us verify it?) and he was back in play. The three of us just looked at each other and said, "He can't spend 15 minutes looking for a ball and then play it." But he did and coming up to the green the older gentleman of the green heard him say, "I'm so glad I persevered to find that ball its the longest I've ever spent looking I should get a medal." The old gentleman just bit back "Anyone can find a ball in 15 minutes, its nothing to shout about. Perhaps you try playing to the rules." So this guy then turns round, "What rules?" to which he's informed, "You are only allowed 5 minutes to find a ball." This guy then says "Who's rule is that?" and we as a trio say, "The R&As" and he goes, "Well their rules are rubbish written by a bunch of ******* a hundred years ago."

We couldn't believe how sour and bitter this guy was. I mean 1st day turned up on the tee and he asked what handicap I was off. He had already said he was off 12, so when I said 18, he then said "If you are playing off 18 I'm going to play off 16". He thinks if you hit the ball longer then him you should have a lower handicap.

re: Just had two days at Staverton Park
user130313
Reply : Fri 17th Jul 2009 14:34

I dread to ask but how did the next round go. Golf is hard enough without having to play with a pratt like that.

user26342
Reply : Fri 17th Jul 2009 21:15

Chris,

The only part I'd side with this pratt is where he was hit by a golf ball, regardless of how hard etc. All players should make sure the green, fairway etc are clear before proceeding to hit their shot.

Other than that I'd have chinned him & told him to grow up!!

user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Fri 17th Jul 2009 23:32

What I cannot understand is 'Why do you play with this guy?'

Russ

user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Sat 18th Jul 2009 16:29

That explains it then!  If he's the guy who arranges everything he's gets to play!!

Russ

user41897
Reply : Sat 18th Jul 2009 17:14

It's probably the only way he gets to play with other people! Doubt he would get asked to play at games organised by others a second time.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top