Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Drug usage in Golf

Posted by: user10367 | Tue 7th Jul 2009 12:11 | Last Reply

Following on from the eminent Gary Player, and his comment last year that drugs are being used in our game.

Article from The Daily Mail (7th July 2009), states that after 1000 tests done in America and 100 in Europe there has been no evidence to back up the comments of Mr Player and others (whom joined the bandwagon).

Mr Finchem did infer however that some were known to use recreational substances and that they would be fined, counselled or suspended and almost certainly be in that order.

Nice to see we're honest people.

Last edit : Tue 7th Jul 2009 12:15
re: Drug usage in Golf
user24437
Reply : Tue 7th Jul 2009 12:37

Don't know what Santo's on but I sometimes feel like I've had some LSD when I see his outfits.  

user99350
Reply : Tue 7th Jul 2009 13:04

The only 'user' I've ever heard of was Jon Daly (a brilliant man to come back from alcohlism) say no to a drink everytime, and the rest, smoking, snorting...whatever

user52922
Reply : Tue 7th Jul 2009 16:49

I take Aspirin to keep the blood thin and as an aid to concentration.

I take Allopurinol for my gout which allows me to play this game.

I take Losartan for my heart which gives me the strength to get over the first ditch (Sometimes anyway)

I take Amioderone, another heart tablet that gives me grief and makes me feel sick but also gives me the strength to fight it and get out on the course.

I take Avostatatin which is a wonder pill and has many benefits, one being that it aids control of my wedge play.

I take furusomide which is a diuretic and those who have played with me will kow that I am always having to pee every five minutes.

I take Lanzaprozole to counter the side effects of the aspirin and as an aid to ensuring I take the putter back in a nice straight line.

When I am in pain with either my knee or my elbow I take a drug that I have been banned from taking, because of my heart problems, but does the trick in relaxing the muscles and relieving the pain.

Last edit : Tue 7th Jul 2009 17:05
user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Tue 7th Jul 2009 17:00

Bloody hell John, do you have a cabinet in the bathroom or a branch of Boots?!?!

user52922
Reply : Tue 7th Jul 2009 17:11

I asked the cardiologist if I could come off the Amiodarone as it makes me feel awful at times, but he said that if I did, then he would have to stop me driving for a month, so I am still taking it. It is a pill that is very good for the heart but is supposed to be taken for a maximum of 7 months, I have now been taking it for ten years. So it looks as though I am stuck with it.

user50843
Reply : Tue 7th Jul 2009 22:41

He never backed up those claims with any names but surely he did'nt just make it up.

He must have seen or heard something that pi&&ed him off enough to go public with it.

user52922
Reply : Tue 7th Jul 2009 23:30

There is not a drug on the market or black market that will ensure one arrives at the ball in the correct position.

Reply : Wed 8th Jul 2009 08:25

There's a couple that I'd like to give a couple of players I know to speed up their slow play........

Reply : Wed 8th Jul 2009 13:30

It's been reported this week that Sheffield United's 'keeper, Paddy Kenny, has tested positive for a drug that is in a cold medicine that is available over the counter.  How the hell are pro's supposed to stay clean when banned substances are available in every day products?  I can understand it if it's steroid abuse or other performance enhancing stimulants but come on.  What's next, no coffee within 6 hours of playing as caffine is a stimulant?  I can see it now on the front page of Golfshake: -

Disaster at West Mids Open qualifying as both organisers are disqualified for sharing a packet of Lockets.  Tim Hawkins prevented from playing after a bag search unearthed some Strepsils.  Dave Ley under investigation after taking a swig of John Pettitt's lucozade, John to be prosecuted for supplying. 

user24437
Reply : Wed 8th Jul 2009 13:41

S'funny you should say that Chris, but does anyone else remember the story of the policeman who tested positive for traces of Opiates, turns out he had a penchant for bread covered in poppy seeds.  Apparently as little as 1 bread roll covered in poppy seeds is enough to flag a postive drug test for 48 hours.

Well that was the defence I used.... 

Reply : Wed 8th Jul 2009 14:42

I didn't say they were my lockets Paul.........

user202037 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Wed 8th Jul 2009 15:18

There is one Cough Medication on the market that advises you not to drive after taking it. What it doesn't say is they advise it because it would show you 3x's over the limit in a Breathaliser Test.

Also a Club Pro driving to the Open having got through Qualifying and gets a headache so stops in Castle Douglas for some Painkillers. Asks the Chemist "I'm playing The Open so what Painkiller contains any banned substances?" Is that Chemist going to know?

TheLyth

Reply : Wed 8th Jul 2009 15:36

To be fair, how many cold medicines advertise that they can get you through the symptoms and keep you going through the day?  To do that takes stimulants.  These stimulants help to focus the mind and this is why they are banned. 

In football failure of a drugs test is met with a statutory two year ban, but there is usually an element of common sense applied and if a player can prove that they took it accidently as part of an over the counter cure they are normally let off or fined.  There is a list of 'approved' medicines that do not contain any banned substances, but this list is getting shorter and shorter by the year. 

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top