Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

How Bob Rotella helped an idiot

Posted by: user75236 | Thu 11th Jun 2009 10:10 | Last Reply

One for David Marshall… Was desperate to play yesterday and the weather forecast said the heavy rain would ease by the evening, so headed off to the course after work. Got to the course only to realise hadn’t brought any golf gear to change into from work clothes. Fortunately had waterproof trousers in the boot so took suit trousers off and changed into them. Put my waterproof top over my shirt and off I went. Was really humid and waterproofs were already sticking to me after the first two holes (two double bogeys). Took the top off so was then attired in a work shirt and waterproof trousers that wouldn’t stay up. Played steadily enough after that, nothing spectacular. Starting the second nine, with heavy humid rain beginning to spatter and the sky very dark, remembered what Jim Dorrington had been saying yesterday about reading Bob Rotella. He says after going through your routine, focus solely on the ball going in the hole, no swing thoughts at all. So I tried it. Seven iron to a ball’s width of the hole on the par-5 tenth. Birdie. Followed by par, par, par, double bogey, par, par, double bogey, par. The doubles were on par-3s where I put my tee shot into the stream, so could have been pars… Out in 47, back in 38. Best nine holes I’ve ever shot. In the pouring rain. In waterproof trousers that wouldn’t stay up at the waist and kept sticking to me. In a work shirt that restricted my swing because it was clinging to my wet body. Altogether now… It begins with I, ends in T

re: How Bob Rotella helped an idiot
user26342
Reply : Thu 11th Jun 2009 13:58

Stuart,

I've got 2 of Bob Rottella's audio books on my Ipod & I sometime listen to them in bed. The things he says are common sense but it's the way he explains them.

Can't believe you got away playing on a work shirt!!

John.

user83900
Reply : Thu 11th Jun 2009 14:49

The most amazing thing about your story Stuart is that you actually listened to my words of wisdom!!

Well done though, good to see the passed on advice maybe helped, now get the books and read it for yourself!!

As I mentioned yesterday it's certainly helped me and I'm actually just re-reading the first one again as it's sooooooo easy to forget the obvious (as John above says it's all common sense, just explained really well)

Mind you I don't remember a chapter about wearing work shirts and sweaty trousers, don't think even Bob Rotella could work out what you were thinking there!!......  

user23840
Reply : Thu 11th Jun 2009 16:00

Incompetent?

user77012
Reply : Thu 11th Jun 2009 17:49

I saw idiot next to your name Stu I thought Marshall must be in here, got Marshalled yesterday if it aint one it's the other.LOL.

Bobs good been on my ipod a long while............trouble is common sense ain't so common I mean take Mr Overlander for instance.................

user25349
Reply : Thu 11th Jun 2009 21:35

I think Jim took it to the extreme at the N v S though! He had a par putt to half the hole from about... oooh.... 20 feet.. As he focused on the hole, his eyes started to protrude from their sockets and every vein in his head and neck started bulging... He stepped up, took aim and sank the mo'fo!

Then afterwards, he calmly told me he had been reading about positive thinking and visualising the ball going in.

Don't get me wrong, he did well and the theory worked, but I was too scared to congratulate him, he was so pumped up!

Last edit : Thu 11th Jun 2009 23:34
user41897
Reply : Thu 11th Jun 2009 22:30

Great books all

user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Fri 12th Jun 2009 09:38

Good scores and it makes it even better with your tie hanging down when you were setting up to the ball! 

Russ

user25268
Reply : Fri 12th Jun 2009 12:34

Just been on Amazon and ordered 4 of his books should arrive next thursday, if its all true hope to be down to scratch very quickly,...........or am i being a tad optimistic.

user25268
Reply : Mon 15th Jun 2009 20:53

These Bob Rotella books are wonderful, ordered mine on saturday, they dont arrive until thursday, but i played today and shot 94, first time ive broken 100 on summer greens and tees.Just think what will happen when i actually get to read them. i may even do it again.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top