Tee Times | Search | Reviews

News:

Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Article: My Journey through the wonderful game of golf (updated)

Posted by: user8 [FORUM MODERATOR] | Thu 21st May 2009 20:49 | Last Reply

The news section is being revamped but we are just starting to run a series of feature articles from John Pettitt and his journey and life in the world of golf.

Part 1: http://www.golfshake.com/news/view/1109/My_Journey_through_the_wonderful_game_of_golf.html

Part 2: http://www.golfshake.com/news/view/1113/My_Journey_through_the_wonderful_game_of_golf_part_2.html

Part 3: Next week

Last edit : Tue 5th Jan 2010 11:32
re: Article: My Journey through the wonderful game of golf (updated)
user202037 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Thu 21st May 2009 21:16

Great reading John, may add my time as a Circuit Pro later.

user25349
Reply : Thu 21st May 2009 21:49

Very interesting! I cannot wait for the next part. Thanks Mr. Pettitt.

user40826
Reply : Thu 21st May 2009 22:24

What brilliant reading. Loved the bit about Spike Milligan and others.  Really looking forward to the next parts. 

Keep it coming.

user52922
Reply : Thu 21st May 2009 22:29

David, I am quite sure that you will have many wonderful stories to tell about your time on the circuit. I think it takes a special breed to do that consistently throughout the year, with being away from home all the time, traveling and hotels and wondering if the cut is going to be made this week or not.

When I was good enough to have made the choice, there was not a lot of money in the game so decided that I needed to earn money and took up normal employment, which of course made golf even harder.

I was speaking to Christy O'Connor Snr once in the Algarve about the way the sport has become very rich and he was really moaning that he was born twenty years too soon for the really big money. He mentioned that when he won the Carrolls at Woodbrook that he only picked up the winners cheque of £20,000.

So don't just think about it, write about it, as I for one would love to hear about what I possibly would have missed if I had taken the plunge.

user131525
Reply : Thu 21st May 2009 23:03

Very interesting stuff, looking forward to reading more.

Last edit : Thu 21st May 2009 23:03
user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Mon 15th Jun 2009 14:29

6th and final part now live. View all 6 parts online via the following link

http://www.golfshake.com/news/view/1131/My_Journey_through_the_wonderful_game_of_golf.html

user26342
Reply : Mon 15th Jun 2009 14:52

Nice to finish off with the winners of last years YMCA golf day

user202037 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Mon 15th Jun 2009 16:09

Very interesting John.

Pro's are happy to accept envelopes  stuffed with cash, but it's great to be able to see ones name on an Honours Board. Mine only appears on the Filey GC Board as winner of their Hudson Trophy.

It is interesting when you talk about your Team-Matches and Handicaps. I played for Filey GC in the East Riding of Yorkshire League and their Rules stated that the 4-Man Team went out in Hcp order, so me being off 6 played mostly at No 4. It showed how many Cat 1 players each Club had by what Hcp No 4's had. Playing against Beverley & East Riding I played a 1 Hcp because they had 3 plus Hcper's at that Club. Richard Finch played for Hull GC in that league too. 

user52922
Reply : Mon 15th Jun 2009 16:27

David, our club first team of ten had a highest handicap of three and our second team could field a side with a maximum of 6. We had a lot of players in single figures.

I can understand how you felt when you draw the short straw and come up against a player with a much lower handicap than yourself, although it does tend to focus the mind somewhat. I used to get a buzz when we played in Wales against Glamorgan or Monmouth as they had nearly all Welsh Internationals making up their teams, Always nice to beat an International.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top