Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Golfing Annoyances.

Posted by: user130064 | Sun 10th May 2009 19:17 | Last Reply

What really grinds your gears whilst playing?

For me it's if anyone gives a running commentary on a crap shot. For example after hitting a slightly wayward drive, ''Oh thats heading towards the bunker, its going right at it. Yep, you're in the bunker. I though it was heading that way.''

Always makes it a bit better if you are not in the bunker/water/other form of hazard though.

Also people who have some form of issue with you/something you are doing, then not mentioning it until well after the round, mentioning no names (David, LOL!!!)

re: Golfing Annoyances.
user204647
Reply : Sun 10th May 2009 19:35

For me, It's most definitely slow players. I can not stand people who stand on the tee, spend a lifetime looking at their shot,go to the ball and are like a statue. Proceed up the fairway only to do the same again on their second and third and fourth and fifth Then it comes to the green,now there are only a certain amount of angles needed  to look at a putt before they pull it left.

Sorry had to get that off my chest.

user52922
Reply : Sun 10th May 2009 19:52

I can understand your frustration, Martin, but I have stopped worrying about the problem of slow play as there is very little that I or you can do about it. Some players just cannot play fast and you only need one of this type in a fourball and the whole group then becomes tarred with the same brush.

I am a very quick player, probably too quick for my own good, but I make my decisions very quickly and as I have had my swing over fifty years I don't need to practice it before every shot I play.

My eyesight is not good enough now to read a line so I just use the plumbline method, and then hit it towards the hole. If it goes in thats a bonus.

user204647
Reply : Sun 10th May 2009 20:43

Paul

It can happen from time to time like you say "on pressure shots" but it is the golfers that do it over and over again through every shot.

My fault is (like most golfers) i tend to play quicker after hitting a bad shot ,but not the people i spoke about. It is endless monotony.

I think that is why the majority of people like the exciting players like Seve, or even in different sports like snooker, i would rather watch Ronnie than most because he is the most aggresive.

user204647
Reply : Sun 10th May 2009 21:17

Spot on Paul. Thats how golf should be played and thats how everyone wants it (well most people)

If the majority of golfers speeded up i genuinley think it would improve their game. You can think about the shot,conditions or even hazzards too much. concentrate on the shot you are playing and let everything else leave your mind, that will make you a better and more cosistent golfer.

PS What has happened to golf in this era. Is every player going to fold if playing with Tiger. I have never seen such the like. This would never have happened in the Nicholas or Faldo era there were to many good players in years gone by.

user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Sun 10th May 2009 21:45

People who don't rake bunkers, especially when my ball ends up against where their foot was meaning it is effecively plugged.  Just damned bad manners. 

And the player who waits until everyone has taken their shot before deciding which club to take out of their bag, takes seven practice swings, goes through an elaborate pre-shot routine, followed by four more practice swings, stands over the ball for what seems like 5 minutes and then tops it ten yards.  Five practice swings to 'figure out what they did wrong', club back in the bag, walk to ball, study lie & shot options & wind conditions & what direction that squirrel is about to run off in, then return to the begining of this paragraph and repeat........ 

user77012
Reply : Sun 10th May 2009 21:56

All of the above and the ones with "all the latest gear but no idea" ,remote control trollies.those who stand directly behind you whilts your putting,people who rake bunkers and they look worse than before they got there,the ones constantly on the phone , the one's that can give an anadin a headache,the one's that say good shot when it clearly wasn't or you lucky git when they have no idea what shot you were trying to play.The one's that walk over your line......................................................................

Reply : Sun 10th May 2009 22:03

David B - I edited.  Phrase it differently and without the comment which was likely to offend and I may consider allowing it to stay.

David L - Anything not annoy you?  And you missed "when I have to take my shoes and socks off to play my shot and the stream is cold"

user204647
Reply : Sun 10th May 2009 22:05

user204647
Reply : Sun 10th May 2009 22:14

Come on Chris

David L and myself have not seen eye to eye on previous posts but you have to admit that was funny.

user77012
Reply : Sun 10th May 2009 22:20

Nick I meant behind my line of sight to my right .........anywhere else does not bother me but there i find it very distracting......................and yes it is bad etiquette.Not an excuse because they are not there whilst putting as i always politetly ask them to move away.

Chris that was my first bath for a week !!

Reply : Sun 10th May 2009 22:43

Matin - Should've put a winky thing at the end of my comment

Dave - When you got home, did the missus say "Oh good, that funny smell seems to have gone at last"?

Paul - I believe the 'rule' is 30* off the line.  In matchplay (per the naughty goings on thread) I have been known to drift behind the line if I'm on a similar one if I can get away with it........

user77012
Reply : Sun 10th May 2009 22:54

Paul you should never stand behind a player with the intension of watching the line you should stand away from the players peripheral vision.You may walk in to check the line once the stroke as been made.

Nick I don't have people stand directly behind me on any shots not that on a full shot it would bother me , putting is no no I just don't like to have something that can potential distract me in my peripheral vision whilst putting that shouldn't be there.

Owners of remote control trollies can't help themselves but steer the things to the next tee whilst the opponents are preparing to play

Reply : Sun 10th May 2009 23:07

Got to say I'm the same as Dave re people stood behind me when playing.  I regularly ask new playing partners to move out of my vision field.  The other thing I don't like is things in front of me when playing a shot (buggies, carts, etc).  I like to have a clear vision field with only my ball to concentrate on.  I always place my bag so it will be directly behind me and won't be seen during my swing. 

user77012
Reply : Sun 10th May 2009 23:14

I'm not asking you to grasp it it's my annoyance if  it doesn't bother you fine, you will find it does annoy alot of people......I can see a poll starting.

Last edit : Sun 10th May 2009 23:14
user24437
Reply : Sun 10th May 2009 23:19

Funnily enough I got stuck behind a society fourball yesterday that just about ticked every 'let's get Tim pssd off' box out, viz.  Waiting for the fourball in front to clear the green before teeing off - on a 425yd dogleg (SI 1) - despite none of them managing 150yds on the previous 10 shots.  Chatting on the fairway with us on the tee.  Going to the first players ball and standing in a group, waiting for the shot, going to the next players ball and standing in a group etc: etc:.  Leaving at least one bag on the front of the green.  Marking cards on the greens.  Forgetting to put the flag back in, walking 40yds, then shuffling back to replace it.  Doing a jig on the 18th green along to the strains of the bagpipes from a nearby wedding after they've putted out.

OK, the last one isn't in the top ten as it doesn't happen that often... 

user131525
Reply : Sun 10th May 2009 23:28

My one is (and the player(s) concerned shall remain nameless) when someone slices a shot which kicks back from the rough in the approximate direction of the green and they then spend the next 5 minutes explaining how they hit the shot with a little left to right, to take advantage of the 11 mph breeze blowing over their right shoulder and how they intended to use the contours of the course to leave the ball exactly where it ended up!

Oh and those people who insist on chucking handfulls of grass around because they've seen someone on TV do it!

user202037 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Mon 11th May 2009 00:23

My pet peeve is the people who hit their Tee-shots before we have played our seconds. Even though they may think they don't hit it that far they could.

user99350
Reply : Mon 11th May 2009 08:38

Young fit players in buggies expecting to be let through as soon as you see them coming over the brow of the hill. The only course record they're after is the quickest round. Relax for God's sake. 

user199058 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Mon 11th May 2009 13:16

Mine has to be:

1. slow play, 2. slow play & 3. slow play!!!

user204647
Reply : Mon 11th May 2009 19:51

Another one for me is green keepers who think they own the course.

I am quite a long hitter and slightly hooked my tee shot off hole no2 and landed at the back of the first tee which lies adjacent, only a few small trees seperate them.

My god did i get into bother "you cant do that again, ridiculous"

I was so amazed i didn't really argue that much, which i would normally have done, but i hardly bloody meant it and shouted 4. IDIOT!!!!

user26342
Reply : Mon 11th May 2009 21:42

I have also agree with Dave L I don't like people standing behind me when putting because you don't know if they are going to move during your stroke. Also I think it is an infringement of the rules as your not suppose to take a read from someones's else's line until they have hit the ball.

Another annoyance is people who don't take their putter with them when they are going to just chip from off the green. They then have to walk back to their bag replace the club get the putter & then walk back to the green!!?!

Another is people who throw tantrums on the course. Grow up or find something else to do, we don't wanna see it or hear it.

user115085
Reply : Mon 11th May 2009 21:51

Slow play bothers me something rotten. Even more so when you have a group stuck behind you who are also frustrated and even though they can see we are being held up seem to think it's our fault.....or maybe that's just me being paranoid! Either way the slower I play the more I seem to mess up.

user99350
Reply : Mon 11th May 2009 23:43

Now that people 'in line of vision' has come up it does bug me sometimes if things are not going my way but I let it go if they are still as they are my regular playing partners, if a new player did it I'd tell them to kick it in the head straight away.  I suspect it's to see how I'm set up (or maybe I'm flattering myself). Regards standing behind me putting to see the line: it's a bloody cheek whether you're playing for beer vouchers or not.

user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Tue 12th May 2009 00:32

You are all grumpy  

I get annoyed with ..................

1, Slow play

2, People telling you how to swing/play during a round

3, People counting your scores whilst playing

user26342
Reply : Tue 12th May 2009 23:15

Blimey Darren didn't realise you played with Carol Vorderman!!

user25349
Reply : Wed 13th May 2009 08:36

I remembered one whilst playing yesterday.

I hate it when you land in a bunker only to find great big dogs pore prints in the sand.  We have to rake the bunkers when you've played in them, why not the dog owners too??!

user26342
Reply : Wed 13th May 2009 08:58

Lee it could have been worse.... you could have found a big steaming turd!!

Oh & it's "paw".

user199058 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Wed 13th May 2009 10:25

user25349
Reply : Wed 13th May 2009 11:14

True, and I knew it wasn't pore, I had a mental block and forgot how it was spelt! Anyone would think you've teamed up with Wayne!

user25808
Reply : Thu 11th Jun 2009 22:15

Golfers using Mobiles even though there are signs everywhere to say not to!

Mobile phones going off while your swinging/putting!

Slow play!

Not being called through even when every member of the fourball in front has duffed their shots and your hitting straight 1's up their arses behind them!!! And even worse when 1 of the group suggests letting the guy behind play through 2 of them say definatley not loud enough for the guy behind to hear!!!!

user127691
Reply : Fri 12th Jun 2009 12:20

1. Pitchmarks on the green bend over and sort them out you lazy gits, they are allways the first peole to complain when one forces there puts to lip out but the last to fix them.

2. Slow play more annoyingly for me from playing partners than the people in front at least if it's the people in front you can have a leaisurly stroll and a bit of a chat but when you are stop start in deadly silence waiting for your so called friend with the only concilation being that if I'm this annoyed I wonder how pi**ed off the poor sods behind are.

3.People playing up your jacksy and everytime you wave them through they pass the offer up to have a bloody fag and then next hole it's the same all over again.

user25268
Reply : Fri 12th Jun 2009 12:55

i hate players who don't know their score after putting out,then gaze back into the distance counting drive 1 wood 2 iron into trees 3 chip out 4 iron to bunker 5 and so on, of course thats usually me doing that but at least i know how many strokes i've taken and can clear the green pronto. 

Reply : Mon 15th Jun 2009 09:21

I HAD to shout on Friday.  I was in the front of the long bunker to the left of the green on the 18th of the PGA.  I had about 30 yards to the pin so I gave it some.  Unfortunately I failed to take any sand whatsoever, cleared the green and the road and pitched on a small flower bed before bouncing 2 yards onto the patio where a large number of people were drinking in the early evening sunshine.  One of the chairs stopped me rolling up to the wall.  I was a touch embarassed.......

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top