Tee Times | Search | Reviews

News:

Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

And the prize for most pretentious marketing clap-trap goes to.....

Posted by: user24437 | Wed 6th May 2009 12:35 | Last Reply

the TaylorMade R9 Driver!

from their blurb... 

The combination of TaylorMade Flight Control Technology and Movable Weight Technology make the TaylorMade R9 Driver the only totally adjustable driver on the market!

Use the built-in Flight Control Technology to change the face angle, lie angle and loft of your R9 Driver to affect side-to-side flight by up to 40 yards. There are a total of eight different clubhead positions. Utilize TaylorMade's Moveable Weight Technology to change the CG (center of gravity) location to affect side-to-side flight by up to 35 yards.

Inverted cone geometry in a classic head shape helps to ensure fast ball speed and big distance even on off-center hits while offering both traditional and modern lines in a stunning driver head.

The sophisticated high-inertia tip of the Fujikura Motore F1 65-gram low-torque graphite shaft promotes faster ball speed.

Features:
  • TaylorMade Flight Control Technology (FCT) lets you change the face angle, loft and lie
  • Movable Weight Technology (MWT) lets you change the clubhead's center of gravity
  • FCT and MWT together offer total adjustability to promote up to 75 yards of side-to-side trajectory change
  • New classic clubhead shape combines super-high MOI and easy-launching CG position
  • Fujikura Motore 65-gram shaft with High Inertia Tip (H.I.T.) technology promotes faster ball speed
 Hmm, paying through the nose for a club with 75yds side to side trajectory change?  My £45 MD driver does that, only I call it a slice.  Now I'm not saying that it's a bad club, but doea anyone actually fall for this drivel?

re: And the prize for most pretentious marketing clap-trap goes to.....
user77012
Reply : Wed 6th May 2009 12:45

Unfortunately they do Tim in thier droves It has to be one the fastest clubs ever to hit the second hand market.

user77012
Reply : Wed 6th May 2009 13:00

There shouldn't be Paul as its fact I know a couple of people that like them and a few that have moved them on. I'm an active member on several golf related forums and the Honeymoon period is defo over for the R9.IMHO and I have had one in play it's only as good as the majority out there but far to complicated for average joe by the time you went through all the combinations TM will have a new driver out. It was no further than my own driver for me anyway but felt solid, the shaft in the one I used was not fitted with any of the TM offerings.

user24437
Reply : Wed 6th May 2009 13:00

Bring 'em on.  As an engineer I understand the 'technical' terms they are using and understand what they are trying to do possibly more than most - what bemuses me is that I've had people spout this stuff at me as a justification of purchasing a club and haven't got a clue what it is.

As they said in men in black 'a person can be intelligent, but people are stupid' 

user204647
Reply : Wed 6th May 2009 18:53

Yes i am the stupid one

HATE IT. Back to my Titleist D2

user99350
Reply : Wed 6th May 2009 19:09

Looks like too much hard work setting it up, then you'd have the niggling feeling it's not optimum for your ever changing swing.

user204647
Reply : Wed 6th May 2009 20:28

Sorry to correct Paul but a lower torque is stiffer not more whippy.

user26342
Reply : Wed 6th May 2009 20:50

Paul E,

your torque(ing) crap!!

user26342
Reply : Wed 6th May 2009 20:57

Paul,

you cannot change the characteristic of any club once you start your round.

Kim recently got disqualified for banging his driver on the floor & then used it on the next tee only to find out he had bent it thus changing the club.

user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Wed 6th May 2009 21:43

Sorry Paul, a club is a club.  You're allowed 14 in the bag and that includes your putter. 

I know what you're saying though as we've both experienced the greens starting slow and quickening up.

user24437
Reply : Wed 6th May 2009 22:01

Nick, my point was not really whether the club was good or not or indeed belittle anyone who has bought one - if it works I'll take it.  The point is the drivel that goes with it, trying to justify pseudo-technical jargon purely as a marketing point.  OK, I can see the point of having an adjustable club - albeit one that you cannot change mid-round - but more adjustment doesn't necessarily mean that it's better.  If that was the case then surely in modern cars you should be able to vary all the engine management parameters depending on how you intend to drive (not during the drive, obviously).

Reply : Wed 6th May 2009 22:28

"surely in modern cars you should be able to vary all the engine management parameters depending on how you intend to drive"

You can on some of the more expensive/sporty models Tim.  Suspension, ride, traction control, air/fuel ratio, EMU settings (I don't mean large ostrich type birds or Parkinson assaulting puppets!), power distribution, even gearbox settings.  Obviously your Fiesta doesn't have these options...... 

I do agree with your intial point though Tim.  I can see the TM marketing team in a brainstorming session now.  "How can we convince people that this club is so much better than the last one that we said was brilliant, Bob?"  "I know Fred, let's use loads and loads of technical terms that mean little and most golfers won't understand so that it sounds like we've developed a space shuttle!  They'll think it must be brilliant and rush out to buy it!!!"  "Brilliant Bob, lets head to the wine bar."

I've always questioned the need for these multi adjustable clubs or the Callaway-style interchangable head/shaft combinations.  My view is the same as Paul E's, in that you would 'settle' on a default position and would be unlikely to change it which totally defeats the object.  I could see the point if you could change it during a round, but I just don't get it as you can't. 

And who the hell would want 75 yards of draw or fade?!?!?!?!?!?!  Every time you used the club that round!!!!!!!

Last edit : Wed 6th May 2009 22:30
user204647
Reply : Wed 6th May 2009 22:29

Nick, I personally think the concept is great and it does work, as proven through machine testing I just picked the wrong shaft which like i've said before is vital to anyone's game.

'mon the Barca

Reply : Wed 6th May 2009 22:50

I'm sure it is easy Nick and I can genuinely see the benefit if you could make the adjustment during a round, but on the courses I play regularly sometimes I need a draw and sometimes I need a fade.  The last thing I would need is to set the club up for a draw and then find myself on a hole with OB on the left and a 15mph right to left wind - I'd struggle enough in that position without the club conspiring against me! 

My opinion is that club manufacturers have just taken the next step after draw/fade bias drivers and given golfers the opportunity to tweak them for themselves and get that perfect shape they want, just like you've done to convert your soft fade into a soft draw.  I still cannot see any golfer needing 45 yards of draw though; if their fade is that bad the should be sorting out their swing plane!

user26342
Reply : Thu 7th May 2009 08:55

I can only see the benefit of this if you were to carry 2 drivers in your bag like Mickleson did the one year. One was set up for a draw & one was set up for a fade.

If not I'd spend the £200+ on getting lessons on how to draw & fade the ball, which will results in gaining further distance off the tee (with the draw).

user202037 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Thu 7th May 2009 09:47

I think TM have come up with a good marketing ploy but have not let on.

A guy who fades the Ball spends his £350 on a square face, then wants to change his club but the only person who is willing to pay £200 for it wants a draw face. Hey, the new R9 adjusts so he can get what he wants. Put simply, it keeps its SH value better.

Reply : Thu 7th May 2009 09:55

You might be onto something there David.  And from what I hear there's a lot of them finding their way onto the second hand market quite soon after purchase. 

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top