Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Not Playing Enough!

Posted by: user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR] | Sat 2nd May 2009 09:49 | Last Reply

For five months I was unemployed and although the money was **** I did manage to play a little bit of golf!    About six rounds a week....  

Then I managed to get myself a job, so at least some money coming into the household.

My problem now is that I'm at work all day and cannot swing a club!

My last round of golf was last Saturday, so that's seven days ago and I'm off today but looking after my daughter, so no golf today.

I'm working tomorrow and then all next week, so no golf there either!

Maybe I need to look for another job!

Russ

re: Not Playing Enough!
user26342
Reply : Sat 2nd May 2009 09:52

watch that handicap creep back up!!!

user199058 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Sat 2nd May 2009 09:54

This is the problem Russ!

Perhaps a job at Stapleford Abbotts?

user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Sat 2nd May 2009 13:26

I did ask about any vacancies at Stapleford Abbotts GC when I was unemployed but like every where else they were looking to cut costs!

Russ

user26342
Reply : Sat 2nd May 2009 14:37

Russ,

get yourself Tiger Woods 2009 on the Wii!!

user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Sat 2nd May 2009 17:05

John, I've got TW2008 for the Wii, but I'm coming in so late all I want to do is have a shower and go to bed!

My biggest problem is that I've managed to get my handicap nearly down to single figures and now this!

Russ

user199058 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Sat 2nd May 2009 17:41

I'm sure you'll find the balance sooner rather than later Russ.

Oh and TW09 is much better

user41897
Reply : Sun 3rd May 2009 08:17

The age old problem Russ I'm afraid.

Either have the money to play but not the time or

Have the time to play but not the money (or the health)

Doh! 

user41897
Reply : Tue 1st Sep 2009 20:45

boat?

user237662
Reply : Wed 2nd Sep 2009 12:33

I was going to ask how all you guys seem to manage to fit in loadsa golf with work and family. Now I know the answer... I struggle to play once a week, with work & family. Guess I need to get laid off with 2 years pay... Never happen though... :-(

user52922
Reply : Wed 2nd Sep 2009 18:57

Martin, my experience tells me that to even achive single figure status requires many hours of playing. I played every day for six months when I first started serious golf.

I doubt very much that I could have achieved the single figure handicap I first got by only playing once a week. A swing cannot possible become grooved with that timescale.

user77012
Reply : Wed 2nd Sep 2009 19:41

Henry,those of us who play more than twice a week whilst living in a family unit especially with younguns are vey selfish people,this I and anyone else would have to live with. I know i wouldn't have my index playing once a week and it does play havoc with your guilt emotions.

user93554
Reply : Wed 2nd Sep 2009 22:21

I struggle to get out once a month, let alone once a week or more.  In fact I have not managed a game in August, my last round was at South Winchester in July.

It is a struggle trying to play half decent golf when I do get a game, getting to the range occasionally does help me though.

I agree with the posts above, to get down to single figures you need to play golf.  I got down to my lowest handicap (5) BMBK, when I was playing or practicing 6 or 7 times a week.

Last edit : Wed 2nd Sep 2009 22:22
user237662
Reply : Wed 2nd Sep 2009 23:23

Dave, I guess my 'younguns' are a little older - boys I play with are 17 & 19, my daughters 14... So not SO young anymore - but yes I still feel guilty even at once a week. But at least my boys play with me - even though that can be a massive distraction to your concentration when you are trying to keep them on even keel as well as yourself during a round... c'est la vie

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top