Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Bad (sad) losers ...

Posted by: user128129 [FORUM MODERATOR] | Fri 3rd Apr 2009 21:51 | Last Reply

It was a bit disappointing the way a certain player behaved in the competition today (my first. Yeah!). This was the other team captain and the comp organiser. He also has the lowest handicap (14 for today). Others who who have played with him before had commented that he always wins these comps (one way or another!)

Not only did he decide to cut my handicap before even seeing me play, but as he was marking my card, he kept mixing my score up, forgetting to put my score on until 2 holes later then guessing what I had scored. Just as well I was keeping tabs on my score myself as well. He also did his best to put me off at every tee shot (I'll put you down for a 3 off the tee) as I was addressing the ball. Now dont get me wrong, I'm all for a bit of banter  and can give as good as I get, but theres a time and a place. After the first 3 holes I was on 8 pts. His mood turned quite bad then and I was then know as the F*****g Bandit. He smashed the ball along way BUT rarely straight and never played a provisional when he went deep into the woods and ALWAYS found his ball which had cleverly weaved its way through the trees to just short of the green. And to cap it all, when we had all finished, went to the local pub and handed the cards to him, he declared himself (and his team) the winners even though the combined score of the team put them in second behind the team I was in. I then double checked the card he had scored for me and found several 'errors'which when rectified put me on level points with him. He accepted me as the joint lead scorer begrudgingly, then downed his drink muttered something under his breath and left.

Cant wait till the next game to p*ss him off again! Lol.

re: Bad (sad) losers ...
user52922
Reply : Fri 3rd Apr 2009 22:10

Not my idea of a fun day out, Paul, play in the Golfshake events with friendly people.

user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Sun 5th Apr 2009 21:11

As regards the OOB, I think he's actually right as outside the line of the posts is the rule.  However, if the tree was not staked or a local rule stating 'young trees' was in place he should have taken a penalty. 

Next time out, take a book of the rules with you and check every ruling, even the obvious ones.  And if his ball goes into the trees, walk in there with him to 'give him a hand to find it' and ask what he is playing as you go in there. 

user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Sun 5th Apr 2009 22:10

and get arrested for criminal assault

Reply : Sun 5th Apr 2009 22:22

Some people obviously forget that this is just a game.  Shaming the idiot by proving what everyone knows that he is a cheat will be much more satisfying. 

user99350
Reply : Sun 5th Apr 2009 22:52

Paul, well done for self restraint. I'll play with anyone but I will not tolerate *rseholes who are not still and silent  on the tee, or whilst I'm addressing any shot for that matter. It's obvious you're playing with the club clown (there's usually one) they genuinely think they're funny and have a few loyal misfits that turn a blind eye to the  cheating though I'm glad that you played well and he got pissed off, well done. Steer clear from him it might be contageous.

user199058 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Mon 6th Apr 2009 09:01

As in the opening door variety?

Golf is about sportmanship and not only would I refuse to play with him, I would also complain to the club / other players!

user26342
Reply : Mon 6th Apr 2009 11:34

especially the south, they'll all be twitching & counting on their fingers how many holes they've got left to stand a chance of getting a draw.

user24437
Reply : Mon 6th Apr 2009 11:55

It's not their muttering, it's the clanking of the Lizzie Duke jewellery and rustling shell suits that puts me off.

user50354
Reply : Mon 6th Apr 2009 12:30

Now ya tell us Tim......

Role on Gainsborough........

Paul, if you could get to Allans winter and summer league jolly outings you would be part of a proper set up that plays fair run brill and cracking lads......

user99350
Reply : Mon 6th Apr 2009 13:06

I used to play a lot of matchplay and there was always one bloke that used to wear white shoes and stand right side back of me and on my backswing he'd move his right foot. I was only15 so felt I couldn't say anything to him as he was a respected full member and didn't know about trying to put people off and lets be honest it's not gamesmanship or banter.

If winning meant you had to do that it's a shallow victory. Not that he ever beat me anyway.

user26342
Reply : Mon 6th Apr 2009 19:45

Paul,

you obviousley don't know what Dave L has in store for you!!!

user26342
Reply : Mon 6th Apr 2009 22:34

Paul,

fear not I was just winding you up, got a bit carried away with the old DB situation. If I knew anything I'd tell you as were both on the same side

Reply : Tue 7th Apr 2009 09:14

You know where I am......

Reply : Tue 7th Apr 2009 10:35

Shouldn't phone me after bedtime then. 

user129599
Reply : Fri 27th Nov 2009 16:31

I played with one guy and several times he left his putt a foot or foot and a half short so we just said 'pick it up you can have it'. (was only a friendly)

A few holes later we were wandering how is wayward tee shots and lost balls were only resulting in bogies and sometimes scrapping par. After a little discussion it turned out he thought when we were telling him to pick it up meant that he didnt have to count it LOL. Was all friendly and no head banging occured ;-)

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top