Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

What Type Of Clubs For Me?

Posted by: user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR] | Wed 18th Feb 2009 23:37 | Last Reply

I've seen that golf clubs come in three brackets, Beginner, Game Improvement and Pro.

I was just wondering what people would suggest is the correct time to move to the next bracket of clubs.

As a complete beginner you would buy a beginner set, but at what point/handicap would you say it's time to trade them in and get some game improvements clubs, and then eventuallly some blades?

I understand that every person is going to be different, but what would be a standard guide.

I'm not after new clubs at the moment so it's only out of interest that I'm asking.

Russ

re: What Type Of Clubs For Me?
user129155
Reply : Thu 19th Feb 2009 09:15

Some people say I'm Crazy but I skipped from beginner clubs to better player Irons in one go last week.

Got some Mizuno MP60's for a great deal and I am hitting them great - absolutely love them.

user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Thu 19th Feb 2009 10:24

If you're happy with the clubs you have, they are correctly fitted and they don't stop you doing what you want to do eg shaping shots, why bother changing?  When you do, get fitted for shafts, grips, etc then buy the combination of shaft and head that you feel the most comfortable with.  Ignore brand, what your mate has, pushy salesmen, etc and get the ones that you like the best and are within your budget. 

user52922
Reply : Thu 19th Feb 2009 14:56

Just come back from the range with my wife, although she would not hit one ball, but I hit all my irons straight down the middle, even hit two beauties with her 8 iron which again proves that if you swing it right then the club is pretty irrrelevant.

I took my persimmon 3 wood and driver and could not hit a shot. I must have some form of mental deficiency when it comes to woods.

user52922
Reply : Thu 19th Feb 2009 15:20

I want to hit a three iron like you, Kevin. incidently where is David L hiding.

user26537
Reply : Tue 24th Feb 2009 16:27

You have simply go to try a set and then try another set, and another and another etc.

I tried several "Beginner Irons" and found that the ball flight was so high that the ball came down with snow on it.  The pro made the comment that "Beginner Irons" are designed to help you get the ball in the air.  Having spent much of my youth hitting practice balls over the house with an old set of Petron blades, getting the ball in the air has never been a problem. 

With this in mind I went straight to "Improver Irons", for my swing (ugly as it is) they offered a better ball flight and a resulting increase in distance.

user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Tue 24th Feb 2009 16:57

I'll have to see my pro and see if he's got any blades for me to try.

When I hit the ball it goes really well so I'd like to see what the difference is about!

I've also see the set of clubs that are a blade in the short irons and progressively move to a cavity backed iron the longer the club gets.

Russ

user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Tue 24th Feb 2009 19:35

Thanks for the suggestions.

I'll have to look around and see what I can do.

Russ

user26342
Reply : Fri 13th Mar 2009 06:54

Darren,

get rid of this moron posting this crap or give the mod's some power.

user199058 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Fri 13th Mar 2009 06:55

I couldnt agree more.

Have mods now been set up?

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top