Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

18 years old

Posted by: user132746 | Fri 2nd Jan 2009 00:08 | Last Reply

hi,

im 18 years old and have been playing golf since i was 11, i love the sport and would play everyday if i could!

on my local course i generally shoot mid too late 70's and was wondering if anyone thinks that there is a chance i could turn pro one day?

thanks

re: 18 years old
user23840
Reply : Fri 2nd Jan 2009 07:57

I'd say with the phrase ''don't bother'', maybe the world of professional golf is not for you.

user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Fri 2nd Jan 2009 10:28

Luke, it would be worth handing in your cards, then you would have an official handicap.

You'll need one to enter competitions and competitions are the only way you'll ever get to turn pro.

If you win your fair share of open events then you have a chance, if you don't then you'll have to improve.

Russ

user52922
Reply : Fri 2nd Jan 2009 11:03

I firmly believe that one has to possess a natural ability for this game. If this were not the case then everyone would be able to  learn to play to scratch, as we all know that the vast majority of players throughout the world struggle to break 100.

Luke started at 11 and quite honestly by the age of eighteen should really have made better progress than he has. This maybe of course that he has not had proper instruction and just treats the game as a nice way to spend an afternoon.

He is still young enough to reach his target but he will have to take it seriously, join a club, get proper instruction from a qualified professional and become dedicated to the cause. Once he has got into category 1 he can then move up a step by playing a better class of competition and if he is successful will eventuially attain 1 or better and be able to play in the next level of competition available.

If he is a winner then he would take the eye of the Walker cup selectors and be picked for his country. Only then should he consider he has the abillity to make a living in the professional ranks.

I see the trend these days is for youngsters to enter the profession as assistants, working in a pro shop who will never ever make it.

If one cannot win as an amateur against the best then what on earth gives them the idea that they can win as a professional.

Everyone has dreams and nothing would give me greater pleasure than to see Luke make it, but my own experience tells me that he won't.

user48641
Reply : Sat 3rd Jan 2009 20:21

Luke

Theres some good advice listed above by folks here - be wide to take note.

Personally I think if you are shooting mid to late 70s then this really is great, however from what Ive heard and learnt it seems more harder to get your handicap down when its lower (in single figures -as im presuming you would be) than when your a higher handicapper.  Therefore my point is it will take alot of very hard work, time and commitment.  If your able to do this then there is no reason why you cant aim for the top.  Remember to enjoy it as well.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top