Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

hi

Posted by: user130802 | Tue 9th Dec 2008 20:02 | Last Reply

hi, im rob and ive been bitten by the golf bug, i was forced by my girlfriend to go with her family once in july and have been leaving her indoors everyweekend since, its a fantastic sport that i tend to be ok at, i play at upchurch in kent mainly, as its superb, i was wondering if anyone knows of any other decent pay and plays in the area? also in my actual game my tee shots are consistant now but i tend to struggle on the fairway when using a 3 wood or anything through to my 6 iron leaving me lacking on the long holes any ideas??? this site is great btw

re: hi
user77012
Reply : Tue 9th Dec 2008 21:01

Robert, you can't play the long stuff with the same approach as your short irons, make sure you take the club away lower and slower,you will return on roughly the same swing path. Don't pick the club straight up from the ball this is a death move you will come in to steep.Just cut the grass you are not trying to take a divot,and most important don't try to leather it. And welcome.

Last edit : Tue 9th Dec 2008 21:02
user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Tue 9th Dec 2008 21:18

Welcome to the site Rob.

As Dave has said try and sweep the long irons/3 wood rather than hitting down on the ball, as you would do with your short irons.

Try putting the ball further forward in your stance when playing the long shots.

Get out on the practice ground and see what works for you.

Russ

user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Wed 10th Dec 2008 08:27

Welcome aboard Rob.  Don't tell this lot they know what they're talking about though, it'll go straight to their heads! 

With regards to long irons and fairway woods, all beginners struggle to get to grips with those so don't worry, it'll come.  Dave Ley's advice is sound as ever so follow that. 

With regards to replacing irons, you can pay as little or as much as you want and still have a good choice of good or rubbish clubs.  It's personal choice so try lots and decide which 'feel' the best to you and you can hit consistently.  That's the set for you. 

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top