New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Things you are thinking but are frightened to say

Posted by: user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR] | Mon 10th Nov 2008 13:58 | Last Reply

OK, we've all been there.  You're in the bar and everyone is banging on about how good Pro V1's are and how good they 'feel'.  You're thinking to yourself "but they feel too soft to me, I prefer Calaways", but everyone is so convinced you're too worried to say anything because you're the only one apparently thinking it.  Well here's the chance to get it off your chest.  I'll start. 

• I don't like Vokey wedges.  I don't like the balance and they feel uncomfortable to swing.
  • I don't like Scotty Cameron putters.  Yes they are well balanced but I don't like the feel on impact or the noise on striking. 
  • Get the idea?  So come on, let's have yours.  And why is that angry mob with flaming torches and pitchforks gathering outside?

re: Things you are thinking but are frightened to say
    user26342
    Reply : Mon 10th Nov 2008 14:07

I can't stand it when after your game your playing partners start going "if it wasn't for this I would have had 10 birdies" or " if it wasn't for my driving I would have hit every fairway"

Just acccept what you played with & stop going on

John.

Last edit : Mon 10th Nov 2008 14:08
    user24437
    Reply : Mon 10th Nov 2008 14:19

My problem is that I'm not afraid to say these things, as some of you may have noticed.

If a hacker wants to chuck away 4 or 5 £2.50 balls good luck to them I say, I play a ball I like and is affordable.

My particular bug bear is people who spout the manufacturers guff about qualities of certain clubs in a vain effort to justify their purchase when it is perfectly obvious they haven't got the slightest clue what they are talking about.  VLC, MOI's, COR's - I know what they are - but it's mostly marketing BS. That'll be me sniggering out loud!

I can't see why anyone needs to spend more than £25 on a putter.

I can't see why someone spending £300 on a driver assumes that it'll be better than a £250 one simply because it's got a good name on it.

I could (and probably will) go on.... 

user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR]
    Reply : Mon 10th Nov 2008 16:20

Oh and I forgot: - 

3. Yes it does make your bum look big

user24437
    Reply : Mon 10th Nov 2008 16:55

See what I mean?

Go on Chris, let it all out mate, you'll feel better in the end.  You won't have any mates left but you'll get used to it like I have! 

user39425
    Reply : Mon 10th Nov 2008 16:59

Gaz F,

Why are you excluded from some of the competitions, just because my handicap is above 18? You can play in them, but you have to play off 18.

user93950
    Reply : Mon 10th Nov 2008 20:00

I  love it when I go into the brush or woods looking for someones ball and ask...what are you playing?  And they say proV1.  I laugh and then underhandly insult them by saying I collect proV1's, never buy them as I always find them in the woods.

Then that same person wonders why I would spend so much money on my Scotty Cameron putter instead of a driver, while I proceed to make my putts.  Even though it takes me two shots always to get into my Vokey wedge range.  All four of my vokey wedge ranges that is. 

user26342
    Reply : Mon 10th Nov 2008 20:23

just thought of one "Why don't you try taking up fishing??"

user77012
    Reply : Mon 10th Nov 2008 21:18

I dunno Mr Garside,you come on here stirring up trouble.......................................You will fit in well,welcome.

user77012
    Reply : Mon 10th Nov 2008 21:45

David if only you new how funny your post is,just when we all thought the "Bandit Thread" was dead and burried,LOL.

user81455
    Reply : Mon 10th Nov 2008 23:17

I think you should hit a provisional

user80414
    Reply : Tue 11th Nov 2008 01:38

Yep.... im with you on the Pro V thing, i play off 22 and i know that i wont get the benifit over a Ad333 or a Warbird. And to be honest if i did get the benifit, i wouldnt notice anyway or woud moan that the ball stopped to quickly and i wanted it to run on.

Im a Vokey convert but i was using Donay wedges before this so it might not just be the fact that they are vokeys, but more the fact that they are just better made.

I wil say that i since my first set of Donay irons i havent bought a new club since as the marketing machine in golf alway insures that there will be great clubs and cheap prices due to the fact that they are not this seasons colour! That and im an Ebay Whore

And my biggest one is playing with someone who is "jonny 2 sheds", you know the type, playing off of 28+ but has a new Set of Forged blades and Brand new£300 driver with upgraded shaft and custom tip because thats what Tiger/Sergio/Vejay uses, therefor its going to take 10 shots off my game. Then when it goes tits up its the wind/tee position/bloke 3 fairways over who just cleared his throat that was the problem, and not the fact that your just crap and using equipment that isnt suited to your game. 

Phew, that felt good.

Cheers

Dan

user80414
    Reply : Tue 11th Nov 2008 01:46

Yep.... im with you on the Pro V thing, i play off 22 and i know that i wont get the benifit over a Ad333 or a Warbird. And to be honest if i did get the benifit, i wouldnt notice anyway or woud moan that the ball stopped to quickly and i wanted it to run on.

Im a Vokey convert but i was using Donay wedges before this so it might not just be the fact that they are vokeys, but more the fact that they are just better made.

I wil say that i since my first set of Donay irons i havent bought a new club since as the marketing machine in golf alway insures that there will be great clubs and cheap prices due to the fact that they are not this seasons colour! That and im an Ebay Whore

And my biggest one is playing with someone who is "jonny 2 sheds", you know the type, playing off of 28+ but has a new Set of Forged blades and Brand new£300 driver with upgraded shaft and custom tip because thats what Tiger/Sergio/Vejay uses, therefor its going to take 10 shots off my game. Then when it goes tits up its the wind/tee position/bloke 3 fairways over who just cleared his throat that was the problem, and not the fact that your just crap and using equipment that isnt suited to your game. 

Phew, that felt good.

Cheers

Dan

Reply : Tue 11th Nov 2008 10:17

Actually, I use Pro V1x's.  Slightly less spin off the face (therefore less slice off the driver) but still the soft feel.  I like a soft feeling ball when putting and around the green and my view is that is where you win and lose holes so that is where I want to be using my preferred ball.  I sometimes revert to an NXT when I'm having issues with the driver which aren't as soft but are not too bad and lower spin.  I've tried Nikes and even their soft balls feel like hitting a pebble. 

Closest I've found that I like the feeling of is AD333's but Pro V1x's are the definite favourite. 

user50354
    Reply : Tue 11th Nov 2008 12:13

David,

I like people such as your friend....

My pro v1's are always found balls...

user26342
    Reply : Tue 11th Nov 2008 12:31

I agree with you David, if your at a standard where you lose 2 or 3 balls a round then I would switch to some other cheaper balls until you can hit it straight. There's no point in playing with a Pro V1 just because it generates less spin etc because if you slice the ball it won't make a jot of difference.

user26342
    Reply : Tue 11th Nov 2008 12:52

Kevin,

That's weird as I didn't refresh the page in this topic but refreshed the page in the main forum bit????

Darren - is this normal??

John.

user26342
    Reply : Tue 11th Nov 2008 12:57

Jonny,

you can't compare cars to golf equipment as we all know that any driver will see better results from driving an Aston compared to a Skoda, whereas stick a 8.5' stiff shafted Taylormade burner TP driver into the hands of a 28 handicapper & 10 handicapper & the results won't be the same.

I don't care what equipment people want to spend their money on but I was expressing my opinion on this topic.

John.

user26342
    Reply : Tue 11th Nov 2008 12:58

Wayne,

I have deleted them but didn't realise there was a problem until I visited this topic again.

John.

user26342
    Reply : Tue 11th Nov 2008 13:07

wayne for some reason when I post & then post again it's duplicating my previous post?????????

user127313
    Reply : Tue 11th Nov 2008 15:09

I was bought my set when i was 16, (23 now). Still playing well with my irons, recently aquired another driver, because my Original Driver decided to decapitate itself (still haven't got over it)

At the end of the day, if you can afford it, have the latest technology. But i hate people that buy Nike Sumo's because Tiger endorses them, take 6 or 7 sets down the range and buy the ones you hit best...end of

user71987
    Reply : Tue 11th Nov 2008 17:19

I have to be honest...

I really don't have a problem saying what i feel, and those of you who have met me know that. W**kers

One of the funniest things was Col A being told (when we were playing our second round ever) that he should be playing the winter tees by a "member".

the response?

You play your F"'ing game pal, and i'll play mine!!

Pure comedy

user77012
    Reply : Tue 11th Nov 2008 17:24

Santo ,JF's just trying to catch you up in the posting rankings............

Back to topic

Don't you just hate the way high handicappers drag your game down!!

right i've loaded the gun.........

user26342
    Reply : Tue 11th Nov 2008 19:46

I know David those high handicappers ruining our game by having to help them find their Pro V1's everyshot shot 1 fired!!

Reply : Tue 11th Nov 2008 20:19

I certainly hope that wasn't aimed at me Mr Flood.  Because last time we played I was using a Nike.  Oh, and given the number of times the trees threw my ball back out for me, there wasn't a need to look for my ball. 

user26342
    Reply : Tue 11th Nov 2008 20:26

Chris,

I wasn't thinking of you but you just reminded me of all the jam good fortune you had on the day.

John.

Reply : Tue 11th Nov 2008 20:29

The language was nowhere near as polite that day.

user89735
    Reply : Tue 11th Nov 2008 22:33

I'm new to these forums and I've got a £300 driver, a £180 putter, 2 Vokeys and I play with Pro V1's

I'll get my coat!

user77012
    Reply : Tue 11th Nov 2008 22:50

You stay right here Mr Bale,we are short of good golfers around here welcome.

user89735
    Reply : Tue 11th Nov 2008 23:21

Thanks for the welcome.

I'm not some kind of big shot or anything like that. I just like to spoil myself once in a while and my sticks are one of the few selfish pleasures I treat myself to these days.

Big boys toys really so might as well indulge when I can, plus the TaylorMade Burner Tour with matrix shaft is worth the $$$

user52922
    Reply : Tue 11th Nov 2008 23:21

Agreed, David and he lives in my neck of the woods. Perhaps we can tempt him to a game.

user89735
    Reply : Tue 11th Nov 2008 23:32

Always happy to have a bash around with new players. I can only really play at weekends for the next few weeks and my home course is Gatton Manor. Trouble is it gets wet there and this rain won't have helped.

Where and when do you guys normally play?

Reply : Wed 12th Nov 2008 10:06

Welcome aboard Mr Bale.  I agree with your selection of a good ball, driver and especially putter (unless it's a Scotty!), but you can shove your Vokeys - I'll stick with my CG14's 

Hopefully you'll be able to get to one of our get togethers and show us hackers how the game should be played. 

user71987
    Reply : Wed 12th Nov 2008 11:46

kevin,

That would be me in the photo of spot the ball one.

lets just say the ball did make it to the other side!

user89735
    Reply : Wed 12th Nov 2008 21:54

Cheers, Chris.

I can't deny Cleveland have always made a great wedge so won't begrudge that.

Let me know when the next get together is and I'll try to make it.

user50843
    Reply : Wed 12th Nov 2008 22:01

Get in the hole.......

user89735
    Reply : Wed 12th Nov 2008 22:06

Cheers, Chris.

I can't deny Cleveland have always made a great wedge so won't begrudge that.

Let me know when the next get together is and I'll try to make it.

Reply : Wed 12th Nov 2008 22:35

There might be spaces left on the end of season shindig on 23rd November if you can make that Simon

user104141
    Reply : Wed 12th Nov 2008 22:35

Hey Guys

thought it was about how comfortable you feel, whether you use expensive or cheap clubs its the person swinging them that makes the difference

Yes I'm a new comer was 28 a few months ago but coming down bit bye bit

user89735
    Reply : Wed 12th Nov 2008 22:50

Could be possible but depends on location. Judging by you living in Birmingham I'm fearing a long journey...

Where are you playing?

user24437
    Reply : Wed 12th Nov 2008 23:14

Simon - the Shindig is at Staverton, near Daventry.  Depending on where you live (Surrey?) it's only a couple of hours I reckon.  We're from all over the place and I can bet you won't have the longest journey!

If you can get in it would be good to see another face

user52922
    Reply : Fri 14th Nov 2008 16:50

Nothing wrong with using grass to determine the direction of the wind, Patrick,I do it all the time,  so why get uptight if someone does it. The fact that he has not been able to work out the correct club for the shot after tossing the grass is irrelevant.

Impossible to hit 110%.

user77012
    Reply : Fri 14th Nov 2008 23:35

I used grass once , i didn't give a t#ss which way the wind blew!

user52922
    Reply : Fri 14th Nov 2008 23:51

hahahaha, nice one David. Is that why the game has gone to pot?

Last edit : Fri 14th Nov 2008 23:52
    user50354
    Reply : Sat 15th Nov 2008 15:44

Poor grass..

Sits there minding own business with its buddies and next thing "Yank"...!!!

Then if thats not enough the poor little green piece is thrown into the air...!!?!!

In our winds the trees give a clue by bending over and pointing.......

user81455
    Reply : Sat 15th Nov 2008 20:15

I always thought the nice little flags they put on the green give a clue too.

user52922
    Reply : Sat 15th Nov 2008 20:21

I can't see those at 400 yards though, Jon.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Experience the stunning golf at Lumine Golf & Beach Club

Tour Player Driver Tips Series