Tee Times | Search | Reviews

News:

Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

how do i stop my shots on to the green running?

Posted by: user119312 | Thu 18th Sep 2008 19:41 | Last Reply

when i hit a pitch, bump&run and other stots on the green they land relativly colse to the hole but rool bout 10 foot

help please!!

re: how do i stop my shots on to the green running?
user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Thu 18th Sep 2008 22:06

First Alex, you have to realise that, like most of us, you are not Tiger and therefore cannot stop the ball on a sixpence (let alone get backspin!).  As Old Man Marshall has said, the ball will always run after pitching.  The idea is to accept this and not to try to pitch the ball on the flag, but part way there so that the ball rolls to the flag.  The amount of roll will depend on the club you use with a lower loft running further (an 8 iron will run further than a pitching wedge). 

As a general rule of thumb, I find if you chip and run with a 9 iron, it will roll about the same distance as it flies.  This means you need to aim to bounce it about half way to the hole.  I try to pick a club that means I need to pitch just on the green as you get a truer bounce and roll than if you pitch on the apron. 

I recommend using a putting stroke for a chip and run as it will give you a mor consistent result.  Oh, and remember to adjust your aim to allow for the borrow as you would for a putt. 

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top