Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Fashion, Statistics and Putters - yet another Todays Golfer rant

Posted by: user24437 | Wed 10th Sep 2008 12:46 | Last Reply

Yes folks, here I go again.  The Todays Golfer massive putter test (bear with me if you don't read this mag) has once again perplexed me.  As it's a subject that I have a particular interest in I had to have a bit of a closer look at it and once again I'm left wondering just how much a brand name influences their choice.

Top of the pile, unsuprisingly in my view, was the Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2.  I know a lot of people rave about these, they are undoubtedly a beautifully made piece of kit, but £220 worth?  In contrast the second place MacGregor is a 'snip' at only £99.  The best value was a more reasonable Ping Karsten at £65.

So how did they rate them?  It was based on four criteria, aesthetics, alignment, feel and performance.  This I thought was slightly unfair, after all how can aesthetics actually effect how good a putter is (OK, it can be phsycological) but part of it was a blind test.  To the same extent alignment is a bit of a red herring and all it really comes down to is feel and performance.  So I thought I'd reinterpret their ratings with that element taken out, and to my surprise the top 2 were the same, but sneaking into 3rd place was the eye wateringly expensive Kramski HPP 340 (£785!) and 5th the £39 Ram Zebra (equal 10th out of 16 in the original list).  Another quick line in an Excel spreadsheet and I came up with the definitive bang for your buck bottom line - basically the rating (excluding aesthetics) with respect to the cost.  Top of the pile?  The Ram Zebra with the Titleist limping in 13th!

Just goes to show, there are lies, damn lies, statistics and marketing.

PS  Just so happens I use a Ram Zebra......

re: Fashion, Statistics and Putters - yet another Todays Golfer rant
user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Wed 10th Sep 2008 14:32

Sign of a bored engineer those stats......

user24437
Reply : Wed 10th Sep 2008 14:37

Has been quiet today, that's true.  Have been experiment with smashing a big bottle of Rum with a gallon of pineapple juice.  My own version of the Large Pina Collider 

user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Wed 10th Sep 2008 14:40

<groans>  Only science geeks may get that Tim.  Hang on, I got it.  Bugger!!!

user24437
Reply : Wed 10th Sep 2008 14:53

Ha ha

user24437
Reply : Wed 10th Sep 2008 18:12

My point exactly JP.  In an ideal world it would be nice if they carried out truly independant tests - but obviously that wouldn't be in the manufacturers or the publishers interests.

Still, have resurected Project 231 this afternoon - version 3 is ongoing now - wonder if I could charge £700 for it?

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top