Tee Times | Search | Reviews

News:

Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Coursebuilders and Greenkeepers of the world, I salute thee...

Posted by: user41897 | Sat 5th Jul 2008 13:51 | Last Reply

I have just spent the morning laying 30m2 of turf having spent last weekend and evenings this past week digging, stamping, raking, rolling, raking, fettling and watering.

Any expectations I may have had regarding the flatness of my new lawn have lowered.

It has demonstrated to me how chuffing difficult it must be to build and maintain a green to the quality that we all take for granted avery week.  Even the worst greens I have played will be streeets better than my rolling english countryside lawn.

I appreaciate my lawn is not constructed to USPGA or any other standard but hats off to you guys..

re: Coursebuilders and Greenkeepers of the world, I salute thee...
user41897
Reply : Sat 5th Jul 2008 13:54

Oh, and by the way, I'd quite like it to rain tonight and tomorrow... Sorry to all who are playing sunday !!

user52922
Reply : Sat 5th Jul 2008 14:21

It would have been relatively easy to have a lawn equal to, if not better than any USGA spec, if you had purchased the finest quality turf in the first place. 

Bents and fescue grass is what is required but I expect your turf will consist mainly of ryegrass and will constantly need cutting.

I had a lovely lawn in London and I used to cut every other day during the growing season and I used to be able to putt on it and also play bowls, it was that good.

I am not a lover of USGA spec greens at all, give me the old fashioned ones with real grass.

Last edit : Sat 5th Jul 2008 14:36
user41897
Reply : Sat 5th Jul 2008 15:04

Don't get me wrong JP, I was not intending to putt on it.  I had thought about a much better quality turf but with a 10 year old and 6 year old who just want to chew it up playing football and the like, there isn't much point.  It was more the amount of work to get the damn thing flat and level.  I am a civil engineer and used to (in the past) setting things out to be flat and level with screed rails and accurate levelling but in my own garden I rarely have the time to achieve the same standards.

user52922
Reply : Sat 5th Jul 2008 17:05

Just seems a pity that an opportunity to have the perfect lawn is lost, but I do understand that you need a hardwearing lawn with children running around on it.

Getting it flat may be time consuming, but well worth the effort in the long run.

Build them a sandpit and practice your bunker shots.

user52922
Reply : Tue 9th Sep 2008 17:59

Stuart, the lawn you will get is all down to the quality of the turf you buy. Even the best is relatively cheap, so go for it.

user52922
Reply : Tue 9th Sep 2008 19:36

Sorry Stuart, my mistake, was just not thinking.

Last edit : Tue 9th Sep 2008 19:37

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top