Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Range balls.

Posted by: user80414 | Tue 20th May 2008 11:39 | Last Reply

Hi,

Quick thought on range balls. 

Are they "slugged"? as in are they made not to go as far? ofcourse i know that they are  (on most ranges) vastly diffrent than game balls and will never feel like the ball that you use. If they are slugged are the distances markers on the range altered to take this into account? i have asked at my range but no one realy seem to know (scary i know). 

The reason for asking is that at both my local ranges (where they use srixion range balls) i find that my distances from my high irons seem short where as off my driver i seem to get ok results. 

Anyone else getting varried results or is it just me?

re: Range balls.
user31862
Reply : Fri 23rd May 2008 11:34

I was told by an old School friend who, at the time, was the pro at a local club, that their driving range balls are 20% lighter than normal balls, so they don't fly as far, as there range was a fairly short one!

user50843
Reply : Fri 23rd May 2008 21:32

Paul I think I have a bag full of those balls, they don't go very far 

user81455
Reply : Sat 24th May 2008 09:11

I tend to find I hit the ball further on the range than the course.  I put this down to a number of factors.

1. I'm hitting the same club about 10-15 times in a row

2. I suspect the range are 'generous' with where they put the distance markers.

3. The balls are hard to promote distance.

4. Ranges are flat or slightly sloping down to promote roll.

5. Range grass is uniformly short.

About point 1.  Does anyone try to make their range practice more realistic by hitting driver, long iron and short iron in rotation as you do on the course.

user81455
Reply : Tue 27th May 2008 12:42

Steven, very true and there's no rough, water and, if you pick a good bay, sand to worry about as you swing back.

user95306
Reply : Tue 27th May 2008 17:09

i too like most aim to really look at how the ball is going ie stright/fade or a draw, tend to use them more during the winter as i tend to stay nice and warm in the house and not brave the elements!!

giving that i usually knock off 20 yards on anything over 130 yards as a rule on the range!!

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top