Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Winter or summer

Posted by: user81455 | Thu 15th May 2008 21:30 | Last Reply

I keep a 10 round average score which fell through winter 06/07 and in the spring last year.  It then stuck at between 106 and 108 last summer and autumn before falling down to 100 last winter.  It has now risen again to 108 this spring.

This got me thinking whether it is easier to score low in winter or summer.  You get far more roll in the summer.  However that can be a double edged sword.  Great when you are hitting it straight but can lead to more balls rolling into the rough (which is usually longer in the summer) when the shots are taking on more interesting shapes and angles. At my standard it is far easier to hold on the greens when you hit them in the winter.

So on the whole I suspect it might be easier for high handicappers to score low in the winter. 

re: Winter or summer
user26342
Reply : Fri 16th May 2008 08:54

Got to be the summer for me, not having to wear extra layers, feeling the sun on your back just lifts the whole mood.

Also in the summer to ball goes further so you can start to hit shorter irons into the greens, which should also be in better nick than in the winter.

..also as the days are lighter & longer there hopefully aren't too many hold ups on the course as people tend to start earlier or later in the afternoon.

John. 

user9368
Reply : Fri 16th May 2008 13:32

I find i score better of the forward tees in the winter so thats probably why you find your score lower in the winter

I prefer summer golf though even if i do have to play the full lenth holes

user81455
Reply : Mon 19th May 2008 23:45

I too prefer playing in the summer especially at the moment as the course I play looks great with all the trees having just come into leaf and the grass lush green.

I agree Colin that forward tees in the winter do have some effect on scoring but I still feel it is at the business end of the hole that it  easier in the winter.  Approach shots stick on the green and I prefer slower greens where you can be more positive with the putter which makes it easier to swing straight.  You do get the odd kink in the greens but if they are well kept they usually roll true.  I was scoring better on all the holes of my local course in the winter but only three of them had winter tees that shortened the holes.

Again tonight I had trouble with approach shots.  I played fairly well but 4 times on the front nine I landed the ball on the front of the green with a short iron only to watch it trampoline bounce to the back and roll off the end.  On the back nine I clubbed down and pitched short of the green but that resulted in a number of shots failing to get on.  The problem was that most of the greens have little 4 foot slopes up to them so they drain well.  High pitched short shots therefore tend to die in the fringe as they run up this little slope.

Last edit : Wed 21st May 2008 19:44

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top