Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Cink Disqualified

Posted by: user84935 | Thu 3rd Apr 2008 17:59 | Last Reply

I was watching some of the PGA tour on the weekend and turned on just as they were explaining that Cink was declaring himself disqualified from the event.

I believe(please correct me if im wrong)the reason was that his tee shot came to rest on the edge of a bunker, meaning that he actually had to stand in the bunker to play his ball that was outside of the trap.  The shot resulted in him landing his ball in another bunker surrounding the green.  His caddie then proceeded to rake the bunker that he had just climbed out of before they walked up the fairway to play his next shot out of the green side bunker.

Due to the fact that his ball was not within the first sand trap, raking the sand was deemed to be testing the lie prior to playing his third shot from the sand trap.

What he should have done was walk up the greenside bunker, play his shot and then walk back and rake the first bunker.

Cink himself was unaware of this rule, played the rest of his round and only after having a chat with another competitior on the practice green the next morning thought that he might be in breach of the rule.

Firstly, what a display of sportmanship to declare this himself disqualified, for in my eyes, such a trivial breach of the rules.

Secondly is anyone else aware of this rule if i have the details correct ?

I can see the logic behind it. However most of the other players on the competition admitted that they werent aware of this rule, are there any other hidden rules out there that i should be aware of?

To be honest i could make a sand castle in the first bunker and i dont think it would help me get out the second one, but rules are rules !!

For those of you who made it this far, sorry about the long post.

re: Cink Disqualified
user52922
Reply : Thu 3rd Apr 2008 18:10

Agreed JP, I really cannot believe this was even debated, after all it was a completely different sandtrap with different characteristics. Idoubt this scenario is even covered by the rules.

user81455
Reply : Thu 3rd Apr 2008 20:53

Still it is good to see that kind of sportsmanship.  I still remember Ian Woosnam declaring he had too many clubs in his bag in the last round of the open on the last day when he had led overnight and copping a two shot penalty.  However I don't think he was quite as sporting with the caddie as they split.

user26537
Reply : Fri 4th Apr 2008 10:42

http://www.boston.com/sports/golf/articles/2008/04/03/little_known_rule_was_hazardous_to_cink/

The article in the link above says that the caddie is deemed to be an extension of the player therefore any action of the caddie is considered to be done by the player.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top