Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Driving Range - What A Load Of Balls

Posted by: user26537 | Mon 17th Mar 2008 11:39 | Last Reply

On the way to a family get together in Leigh-on-Sea yesterday I went to a driving range on the way to hit a few balls, whether they could be defined as GOLF BALLS is another matter.  Several of the balls were so smooth they would not have been out of place on a billiard table.

It drives me mad that many ranges do not filter out the obviously sub-standard balls or offer anything other than the most basic of facilities.  In the case in question the bays are made of 2 x 2 and plywood, the mats are in many cases worn out and if you want a longer tee you have to ask, only to be looked at as though you have come from Mars !. 

Maybe it would be worth reviewing driving ranges as well as courses, name and shame, without our trade they would not have a business. 

re: Driving Range - What A Load Of Balls
user80414
Reply : Mon 17th Mar 2008 12:11

I can only agree with you on this one, one of my local Driving ranges went to pot in a big way, The Bays were in a p**s poor state and the balls dispensed were round'ish other than that  you couldnt tell that they were balls.  What put the icing on the cake was that they put the ball prices up by 50p for no reason. 

Thankfully the range is now owned by another company and its now been refitted and use the srixion range balls, but on the down side you are now paying £3.50 for 50 balls! Wihich i think is a bit on the steep side. But at least its well maintained. 

user23840
Reply : Mon 17th Mar 2008 17:15

I played at the London Club on Friday. Callaway balls, off of grass teeing area. Luxury.

user26537
Reply : Mon 17th Mar 2008 17:29

Sadly whilst some ranges are excellent, my usual one has indoor and outdoor bays and Wilson balls, many are dreadful.  The cost is another issue altogether, I am happy to pay for a service if it is good. 

user52922
Reply : Mon 17th Mar 2008 17:44

Please don't rub it in, Danny.

user23840
Reply : Mon 17th Mar 2008 18:56

It's a real treat for me John. Though I could never afford to play there if I had to pay.

Shame the Japanese spa bath was out of action though. 

user52922
Reply : Mon 17th Mar 2008 19:16

I certainly could not justify those prices, myself rather like Chart Hills.

user23840
Reply : Mon 17th Mar 2008 20:02

I got to play there for £20.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top