Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

steel v graphite irons help please

Posted by: user48641 | Mon 10th Mar 2008 20:58 | Last Reply

Hi all

Can I just ask your thoughts about steel shaft irons.  Since starting golf 3 years ago I bought a set of Nicklaus Graphite irons and have been using them since.  The 3 and 4 iron are hybrid clubs.  At the time of purchasing them from american golf I was advised that graphite shafts would be the best for me because I did not have a quick swing speed and I was a beginner.  Anyway over the past few weeks from time to time I've tried my friends clubs out for a few shots (steel shafts) and the ball seems to go much further compared to my clubs.  This has now got me thinking perhaps its time to change to steel shafted irons.  I've read quite alot of reviews in the magazines, net, etc, but I'm finding it hard to decide which sort to (perhaps) go for.  I'd welcome your comments about the types of irons you think might be worthwhile and your thoughts on steel shafted irons as whole and if any of you have also found that they go further and are better in anyway than graphite irons.

Thanks in advance - apologies if theres another similar post - tried posting earlier but dont think it worked properly.

re: steel v graphite irons help please
user24437
Reply : Mon 10th Mar 2008 21:20

It's true what they told you Alps.  Graphite irons tend to be better for a slower swing because they are uniformly flexible, very light (compared to the weight of the club head) and are good when you get to the stage when you realise that the harder you swing doesn't necessarily mean that the ball goes further.  When your technique naturally begins to generate higher club head speeds a more rigid steel shaft will feel more comfortable as you found.  Be warned though, if you change to steels you may find that things get a lot, lot worse before they get better.  Well, that was my experience, I've had my 'new' clubs for about a year now and I'm just finding out how to use them properly.

user52922
Reply : Mon 10th Mar 2008 23:04

I have graphites now on my irons and I find them great, but then I am an old tart.

user52922
Reply : Mon 10th Mar 2008 23:12

As I knew you would, David, always ready to have a go at me because I am not as good as you. lol.

user24437
Reply : Mon 10th Mar 2008 23:37

It's not because you're an old tart, John (well not entirely!), it's because you are using the flexibility of the club rather than your body now.

user52922
Reply : Mon 10th Mar 2008 23:42

How astute of you, Tim, to notice that my body does not move, can I have your top of the swing position.

user24437
Reply : Mon 10th Mar 2008 23:50

And back to the subject, Alps, I'd go for a set of custom built clubs.  Not brand name, custom fitted, but built to your own spec.  There's a nice bloke near Tamworth who built mine, old Ping type heads (not counterfeits, just made by the same people without the badges), NS Pro shafts and Winn pro grips, custom fitted for shaft length, stiffness, loft and lie etc: - 4I to SW all for under £400.  I'm sure with your handicap your needs will be different, but he's had years of building and modifying them for pro's and hackers like myself.  I just couldn't bring myself to help sponsor a tour player, that's all.

user48641
Reply : Tue 11th Mar 2008 20:10

thanks all for the replys

Chris i think the G10s are probably a bit too steep in price and certainly dont think kim probably at that level to splash out that much yet.  The g5s seem ok at a lower price i guess.  The nike combos also seem ok.  Definately think it will take time to get used to steel just didnt realise theres so many options in steel as well.  Gonna try and read up a bit more about it. 

user52922
Reply : Tue 11th Mar 2008 20:16

Buy a decent secondhand set, Alps, save your money.

user9368
Reply : Tue 11th Mar 2008 21:33

Alps with a handicap of 16 you certianly must know how to strike the ball well enough to bring any clubs within your sights. 

user48641
Reply : Tue 11th Mar 2008 22:03

Colin, I wish, I dont drive the ball very far usually my mates can hit their 3 woods the same or further than me hitting my driver, plus i really struggle on par 4's that are 400yards and upwards.  I'm off to the states in a few weeks so thinking i might take advantage of the £ over the $ and invest in something new.......hence all this talk on moving to steel clubs etc.    

user9368
Reply : Tue 11th Mar 2008 22:10

Steel is real

I have hybrids. Steel shafts with a graphite tip which varies in length, longer on the long irons and shorter on the short irons. I dont know if this actually achieves anything but they look nice

user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Wed 12th Mar 2008 09:48

Alps, this months Today's Golfer has reviewed loads of new iron sets.  One of the groups of irons is specifically aimed at your handicap range.  Suggest you have a look at that and see what appeals. 

What I suggest you do in the states is visit one of the golf superstores and ask to try a couple of different irons in different shafts.  They all have hitting rooms with launch monitors.  They will then suggest the right shaft for you.  You can then try a 6 iron from a couple of different sets until you find one you like.  When you have a preference, try an 8 and 4 iron from the set and if you still like them then produce your credit card.  They will normally custom fit them for you within 48 hours and you will save at least 30%.  The staff are always very patient, very helpful and knowledgeable.  They will ask about your game and make suggestions for irons that will suit as well.  It would be ideal if you could take one of your own clubs to compare the results. 

I travel to the states a lot on business and get all my sticks from there.  Whereabouts are you going, I may be able to make a recommendation. 

user48641
Reply : Wed 12th Mar 2008 10:37

Thanks Chris and Colin

Im going to Arkansas way  (little rock and hot springs to be precise) - Also i did get the todays golfer magazine but wasnt really convinced enough about the other irons - probably just me that though - im really keen on a set where i can get the numer 3 and 4 as hybrid clubs - the nike ignite sets comes with a 3 hybrid so thats looking a strong prossibility (i really cant hit long irons well).  The only scary part is bringing them back - I've seen the way the prats at the airport throw the luggage around :-(

If your all at the north v south event I'll see you then - i fly back 1 day before - oh dear !!!

user52922
Reply : Wed 12th Mar 2008 11:13

Alps, the only reason you do not hit long irons well is because you don't use them very often.

user50354
Reply : Wed 12th Mar 2008 12:09

And if any Customs Officers are reading this then David was only kidding and Alps is carrying his own UK purchased clubs - honest sir..! 

NWOT..........

Reply : Wed 12th Mar 2008 12:22

However, if they are a gift Alps then they are tax exempt.  And I'm sure that you would've only had them fitted as your twin brother has an identical swing to you.......

user48641
Reply : Wed 12th Mar 2008 12:46

oh dammmmmm i had no idea about all this tax and customs stuff !!  what the hell !!

I refuse to take my set becasue im scared they may get lost or damaged (then that will leave me clubless for the north v south event lol) 

The 2 clubs im gonna play at said they will let me borrow a set (nice american hospitality) so thats good enough unless i but something there beforehand. 

Chris - thanks good idea about the gift thing - I'll remember that.

John - i do try to use my 5 iron but i always top it or catch it fat - thats why i prefer the utilty clubs (i can hear the nike ignites calling me now lol)  the only other set i see that does a 3and 4 utility is adams golf (dont know anything about them)

why is something that should be so simple so hard !! arhhhhh

Reply : Wed 12th Mar 2008 13:06

Alps, I bought a set of irons last year (Nikes as well by coincidence).  I also bought a hard flight case out there (about half the price of in the UK) and used it to transport back my new clubs and multitude of Disney related items that my wonderfull little lady had aquired that wouldn't fit into any of the cases.  Yes, we went to Florida. 

Depending on who you are flying with, the charge for taking clubs is up to £20 return.  Whilst you will be able to use rental clubs, they will be standard loft and lie and if you aren't standard (who is?) you may struggle.  A lad I played with in Florida really struggled with the standard length clubs he rented as he was 6' 4"!

Just a thought, but if you get your new irons towards the beginning of your holiday, Arkansas would be a great place to christen them......

user48641
Reply : Wed 12th Mar 2008 13:20

Cheers Chris

To be honest Im not fussed too much about the borrowed equipment there and how I play out there - Im going to be playing with my 6 year old son (soon to be 7 2moro) just want him to have a chance and play on a few courses there - you know summut to remember etc.  Implanning just to take his little clubs and probably get him some nice ones too.

what type of nike clubs do u have chris ? combos ?  Noticed on Ebay USA you can get Ping G5 brand new utility clubs for equivalent to about £50 !! amazing hey !!

Reply : Wed 12th Mar 2008 13:58

I have slingshot oss Alps.  Much better suited to my handicap than yours.  Only problem I have with them is as the sole is so wide I do tend to bounce the club on hard ground or at the range.  I have had them for 10 months now so the itch is starting to feel like it needs scratching.  Next business trip to the states is next month so I'm leaving my credit card at home. 

Many of the name brands now allow you to build up your set individually by club with no cost peanlty.  This means you could get 5 - SW and then get hybrids instead of a 3 and 4. 

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top