Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

What the........#3

Posted by: user24437 | Thu 21st Feb 2008 19:42 | Last Reply

Apologies for the 3rd rant.  Again in Todays Golfer, the best putter, the Ping Redwood Zing.  £190 just because it's made from a single block of soft carbon steel.  £190 for a putter!

Seriously considering making my own line of putters, anybody fancy a Hawkins, limited addition, kinetically corrected putter?  I'll start on the design tomorrow.

re: What the........#3
user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Thu 21st Feb 2008 19:51

Tried out the Nike Utilizied classic anser style made from one piece.

Absolutely awesome, price tag to match though.

Chris is right though, putters are putters but it is the most used piece of kit  

user48641
Reply : Thu 21st Feb 2008 20:51

whilst i understand the importance of putting etc, i really cant say i would spend £190 on a putter - i think thats just crazy (but hey thats my views)

user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Thu 21st Feb 2008 21:12

Alternatively Alps, look at it like this. 

Assume an average of 1.5 putts per hole (I wish!).  Pay £150 for a putter and it costs you £10 per shot for your first round.  Pay £150 for a driver (you wouldn't blink at that) and you will use it say 10 times on the first round.  That's £15 per stroke. 

Oh, and you'll replace the new driver much quicker than the putter as the latest technology (also known as latest marketing gimmick) will sucker you in just like the rest of us. 

user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Thu 21st Feb 2008 22:21

Or do what Sergio does and carry 2 putters in your bag!

user9368
Reply : Thu 21st Feb 2008 22:33

Bit of a Scotty fan myself, have never looked back. Cost a much as the rest of entire set but well worth it.

user80414
Reply : Fri 22nd Feb 2008 12:37

I Cant agree more with all of the posts about putter costs.

When i first started i bought a very Cheap putter (under a tenner if i remember right) as i couldnt see how putters could vary that much as after all its just a blank of steel/ally or some such material that wouldnt be put under stresses and strains of other clubs. I used this putter for about 8months and have to admit that my putting was very random and i put it down to me being new to the game. Then a friend of mine was selling a Taylormade Nubbins blade and loaned it to me to see if i liked it. Within 2 rounds i was converted and cut on avarage 5 shots off my round the (i was in the 100's at the time), old putter was in the scouts jumble sale the next weekend. I Put this down totaly to the change of quality and the overall feel of of the TM. I have since upgraded to a Mallet and now use the Mezza Rossa which i bought second hand (but in almost mint condition) for about half the original price. But i would say that if i had known the results that this new putter would give me i would not hesitate to pay the original £120 asking price.

And As mentioned before people wont think twice about spending upwards of £200 on a driver so why should it be any diffrent with another club.

Last edit : Fri 22nd Feb 2008 12:43
user926 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Fri 22nd Feb 2008 13:03

I love my ping redwood anser but i'll be in for a customised Hawkins special. I'm sure they'll be plenty of science behind that baby!

user24437
Reply : Fri 22nd Feb 2008 14:49

The question is for anyone who has got an expensive putter is this.  If you picked up a cheap and nasty putter and started sinking putts from anywhere on the green would you use that instead of your £120 club?  As I've mentioned before my brother (one time 9 handicapper) has always used the same putter, a nasty brass blade thing which he stole from a council putting green many, many years ago.  He's tried loads since but still sticks with it and his putting is deadly.

The problem as I see it is that a lot of it is pyschological.  It really isn't the same as any other club, despite the amount of use it gets. How much difference to a 3ft put would it make if you had a slightly stiffer or heavier shaft?  It's all in the feel and once that's in place a a piece of wood sellotaped to a stick would work.  Now if you feel more confident using an expensive putter then that in itself is a success, but it's not really anything to do with how it's made or who's name is on the shaft.

Design is underway, will keep you posted Phil.  

user24437
Reply : Fri 22nd Feb 2008 15:40

Bagsy first look at the Vokey - might even give a couple of your putters a go....

May have a 3 wood up for sale, and bring my 11 wood for curiosity... 

user23840
Reply : Fri 22nd Feb 2008 15:56

A 10 wood with more loft.

user52922
Reply : Fri 22nd Feb 2008 16:10

A five iron.

user24437
Reply : Fri 22nd Feb 2008 17:21

Just had a quick look and it's actually 29° loft.  So between 5 & 6?  Have used it a couple of times but it's got a tiny, tiny head and just feels wierd.  Was given to me by my ex-neighbour, glad I didn't buy it.

user48641
Reply : Fri 22nd Feb 2008 17:24

david/chris good points you make there.  i guess im not looking at the putter in the same terms as a driver, but doing so this way definately evens up the importance of a solid putter...........so far tho optin 3 for me has worked a treat - a very cheap putter that very rarely lets me down, theres also the fear that a new putter will take ages to get use to in terms of feel etc......oh well

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top