Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

I a beginner be gentle with me!

Posted by: user83096 | Thu 21st Feb 2008 12:17 | Last Reply

Hi i'm new to this and to golf. Had my 1st ever round on my local public course in edinburgh last weekend and hit 115. just as likely to skim the grass with a drive as hit 175 yards. Think I managed to irritate a couple of "good" golfers. but hey we gotta start somewhere

re: I a beginner be gentle with me!
user48641
Reply : Thu 21st Feb 2008 14:35

Hi and welcome Alan,

Dont worry about the other golfers mate (for now anyway...lol) for a first timer thats a good score (my first ever score 3 years ago was 132 - i dont think many can beat that!!)

Now u do realise your gonna end up completely crazy about this great game dont you !!

user52922
Reply : Thu 21st Feb 2008 17:30

Welcome to the world of golf, Alan, if you are serious about improving rapidly then the only answer is lessons now, whilst you are still at the stage where you have not grooved any bad swing faults. It will be money well spent, I assure you.

user48641
Reply : Fri 22nd Feb 2008 17:28

alan - dont worry about things too much mate - best thing is just get out there and enjoy it, something else to take into account though if you play at a particular course are the times the course isnt so busy (eg sometimes pays dividends to play just 9 holes on a late pm, if no ones around you can take a lil extra time practising etc)

user24437
Reply : Fri 22nd Feb 2008 18:30

Alan

Don't worry about the 'good' golfers, they probably aren't as good as they seem, especially if they are hassleing you from behind.  We've all been through the embarrasement of the 12 shot hack to the green and scuffing your first tee shot in front of an audience.  Doesn't mean to say you'll necessarily get any better, but with experience you just won't worry about it so much!

user69629
Reply : Sat 23rd Feb 2008 00:11

I agree lessons are a great investment, i had some lessons a 2 or 3 years ago but then stopped playing not long after but i picked up the clubs again last year and after a trip to the range i was back into it and remembered what i'd lernt, been getting 96 - 98 as apposed to the 115 regulars at the Lickey Hill in birmingham.

I had my lessons at my local driving range think it was £25 an hour or £15 for half really sorted that damn awful slice of mine 

user52922
Reply : Sat 23rd Feb 2008 23:33

An 84 off 24 tells me you are a bandit.

user52922
Reply : Sun 24th Feb 2008 19:27

Congratulations are in order for the 84 but no one would compliment the nett score of ten under your handicap in a good light. Calling someone a bandit is not considered offensive and that is exactly what that score warrants.

22 handicappers do not shoot 12 over.

Last edit : Sun 24th Feb 2008 19:39
user52922
Reply : Sun 24th Feb 2008 20:17

Pat, you are attempting to discredit me because I have pointed out that your score of 84 is only one that could have been produced by a bandit. I am not taking what I said back, at all, and if you feel that what I said is not nice then I can only suggest that you carry on producing these scores from the handicap you are trying to convince us you are,then you will see that I will not be only one to point this out to you.

I respect of what you said to Alan I disagree entirtely, it is the responsibility of all players to be aware of others who playing on the same course and afford them the necessary etkiquette. Just wandering around minding your own business sounds fine but can cause all kinds of probblems. 

user52922
Reply : Sun 24th Feb 2008 20:19

Anthony, first of all let me congratulate you on your rapid improvement in this wonderful game, as you say, playing with players a lot better than yourself has certainly helped you.

Pleased you agree with me regarding Pats score. 

user52922
Reply : Sun 24th Feb 2008 20:19

Pat, you are attempting to discredit me because I have pointed out that your score of 84 is only one that could have been produced by a bandit. I am not taking what I said back, at all, and if you feel that what I said is not nice then I can only suggest that you carry on producing these scores from the handicap you are trying to convince us you are,then you will see that I will not be only one to point this out to you.

I respect of what you said to Alan I disagree entirtely, it is the responsibility of all players to be aware of others who playing on the same course and afford them the necessary etkiquette. Just wandering around minding your own business sounds fine but can cause all kinds of probblems. 

user52922
Reply : Sun 24th Feb 2008 20:47

David, I did not do a research as to what course Pat scored that 84, but in his own words he did say it was on a par 72, which does not fall in with your quoted 67.

My comment was based on his words and 10 under ones handicap has to be considered banditry.

Pat, I am sorry that you seem to be taking what I said as an offensive comment. The word bandit has been around in this game for as long as I can remember.

Anthony, unfortunately this state of affairs in the modern game is destroying the camaraderie between differing standards of players. If you had played Pat on that day he shot 84 you would have been slaughtered and not a happy bunny.

user86885
Reply : Fri 28th Mar 2008 20:45

I thought Bandit was just an affectionate term for a.n.other golfer who scored well over 36 points on stableford on a society day, thus taking home the spoils...

A friend of mine plays the same par 64 course week in week out, shooting about 7 over par regularly...wanted to play for money but said he was an 18 handicap, and his excuse was that if he played another course he would be nowhere near as good, as he knew his regular course so well...Now THAT is a Bandit!!!

user81455
Reply : Sat 29th Mar 2008 14:09

Welcome Alan.  Don't worry too much about the other golfers or taking numerous shots up a fairway.  I don't mind playing behind beginners provided that they are organised and are making reasonably rapid progress.  Pay a little attention to where you are putting your clubs/trolley when you are playing a shot.  A good tip I was given is to put your trolley level with your ball to the right of the ball if you are a right hander.  This avoids having to walk back on yourself.  When you reach the green makesure you put your trolley or bag on a spot convienient to move to the next tee.  Don't rush your shots though.

user98492
Reply : Sat 7th Jun 2008 22:20

Blimey, my first full 18 ended up at 134 lol.  Glad id done some 9's before that.  Did my 2nd 18 yesterday and knocked 4 off, but i was extremely unhappy with my round, lost 11 balls.  I think as a beginner going on a course with basically very little area to run off from the fairway wasnt a good idea, but im still waiting for my size 13 golf shoes to arrive, its the only course i can go on.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top