Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Biggest golfing regret?

Posted by: user44459 | Wed 23rd Jan 2008 21:35 | Last Reply

I got to play at Celtic Manor (Roman Road) a couple of years back. I was at a customer arranged do at the hotel the night before and had far to much drink... Bed at 4.30, tee time of 8.15. I can't remenber a single hole until the 12th!

This was before I got the golf bug back but really feel I missed out as it is something I would absolutely love the opportunity to do now.

What's your biggest golfing regret?

Last edit : Wed 23rd Jan 2008 21:50
re: Biggest golfing regret?
user9368
Reply : Wed 23rd Jan 2008 22:50

Not playing untill i was nearly 30. Now living my life over again thru my kids

user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Thu 24th Jan 2008 10:37

Believing I could actually be any good at this game then beating myself up because I'm not!!!!

user52922
Reply : Thu 24th Jan 2008 10:44

Chris, you can be good at the game, in fact, anyone can.

Once you realise that the game cannot be bought in the golf store and that the only way to play, is with a sound method, you will realise your dream.

This can be learned in many ways but does require application and practice. It would be a waste of time trying to emulate Tiger Woods unless you had his level of fitness and commitment, as well as his body shape.

Reply : Thu 24th Jan 2008 11:15

John, I've just invested in a course of lessons (thanks to John Flood for recommending the guy) and had the first last week.  He videoed my swing for the first time and it makes so much difference when he was explaining what I needed to work on as you can see what the problem is.  He's got his work cut out.  He's actually told me to go down the range and work on what he has changed (all in my address and back swing) but not to worry about where the ball goes as he will make further changes this week and until they are done I will be completely out of sync.  He's right, I'm completely out of sync and extremely uncomfortable!

Interestingly, he put my swing next to Tiger's on the same screen and stepped them through together.  He did this to explain what he would be trying to achieve with the adjustments he was making to my swing.  You will see at the North v South that I most definitely DON'T have Tiger's body shape and fitness!!! 

user52922
Reply : Thu 24th Jan 2008 12:59

When you go down the range to practice what he has shown you, I would suggest that you do these exercises at 50% power, this will then teach you to release at the correct time. Just forget trying to get out the end of the range and aim for a target.

My body shape has also gone to pot and that is why I cannot play this game anymore. I have a brain trying to tell me what I know is correct yet my body fails to understand one word of it.

I can assure you that watching me get round in my current handicap is an education in itself. You would not think it possible that such bad striking could do it.

Looking forward to meeting all you guys and lets hope we can give you a game, this time around.

Last edit : Thu 24th Jan 2008 15:09
Reply : Fri 25th Jan 2008 12:25

I'm trying to avoid a repeat of the embarrassment I suffered at Breadsall in April. 

It was a bargain.  Five 1:1 lessons, including video analysis, plus a two hour playing lesson for £75.  A Yorkshireman knows a bargain when he sees one. 

user86885
Reply : Fri 28th Mar 2008 22:48

Again, not taking up golf when I was young, started at 34, wish I had started at 14..

Still, had many good years, memories and trophies from playing football, so not all bad!

user79118
Reply : Sat 29th Mar 2008 16:46

Giving the game up at 16 for 20 years when I was a single figure handicapper! That damn stupid thing called work got in the way, and beer of course.

user52922
Reply : Sat 29th Mar 2008 18:02

You are still young enough to get back there, Chris, even I am still trying, and I am 71.

user52922
Reply : Sun 30th Mar 2008 23:53

You finally learned all those things, Philip, and that is why you are nearly scratch. I see you have dropped a a little lately, game nust be good at the moment.

user71987
Reply : Tue 1st Apr 2008 14:20

Biggest Golfing regrets?

Not playing pebble beach when i was there! ($320 for a round and being as it was my honeymoon probably best i didn't.)

not starting at an earlier age.

starting playing (as per earlier post its now all i talk/think about) what the hell did i do before???

user52922
Reply : Wed 23rd Apr 2008 20:15

You are still young enough Greg.

user80414
Reply : Thu 24th Apr 2008 09:24

For me it has to be passing up the chance to play at SawGrass, FL. I was seeing a girl who worked there and she offered to get me free green fee's, and belive it or not i passed it up to go to the Jacksonville Air Show!

Every May i still feel gutted when the TPC is on the Box!

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top