Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Is playing difficult courses going to make me a better player or just damage me

Posted by: user577316 | Sat 5th Apr 2014 07:38 | Last Reply

Hi I just wanted to know your views on this question, I'm wanting to know if playing a difficult course is going to make me better in the long run? The course I'm mainly speaking about is Bondhay in Worksop, I'm 28 handicap and find this course difficult and end up shooting around 110 and know it's going to be a big ask to break 100 on it which is my aim to start breaking 100 consistently which I know I could do if I get my head on my game properly, my best is 94 and had couple 95's at more easier courses like Tinsley

Last edit : Sat 5th Apr 2014 07:38
re: Is playing difficult courses going to make me a better player or just damage me
user88724
Reply : Sat 5th Apr 2014 09:01

Ashley,

You ask some interesting questions. The following reply (dear censor) is one hundred per cent serious, it's just that possibly I have an unusual take on life (I promise not to mention sock suspenders again):

I spend a lot of my spare time watching sport on 'Youtube' and yesterday I discovered the 'Red Bull 400.'

I thought 'Wow, that's really tough. but I'm aching to try it. But at my age it could damage me. Heart attack?'

What the hell, life is for living.

Am I a man or a mouse? I'm still thinking about that.

Arguably, just surviving life makes us better / stronger people. Go for it! If necessary I'll give you a free counselling session afterwards.

If I can find you on LinkedIn I'll send you an invitation to link. Bonding bonding.

P.S. I recall watching Seb. Coe as a youth run against a field of seniors in a mile race. Even then he was blistering fast and after three laps he was 60 yards+ ahead of everyone else. On the last lap he blew up and every other runner passed him and he finished last. But as time passed Seb. got stronger and stronger and gradually sustained the pace for longer. And as they say, the rest is history.

Last edit : Sat 5th Apr 2014 09:38
re: Is playing difficult courses going to make me a better player or just damage me
user64715
Reply : Sat 5th Apr 2014 14:02

Ashley

Ask yourself, "What specifically do find challenging, playing difficult courses, that would 'damage' you?" The answers that question will give you what to work on.

Ivan is right. Will always playing easy courses make you a better player?

user309476
Reply : Sun 6th Apr 2014 12:55

It all depends on how serious you take yourself when playing this fine game?

I tend to play a few courses rather than the one, I find them to have different challenges which makes me think about different parts of my game. when i was a member of a club i played way more golf than i do now but my handicap stagnated and i kept shooting the same scores. Nowadays i tend to look at each hole and plan my play better.

It will only damage you if you beat yourself up for going wrong! to me i will never master this game fully and i'm not at a level to get too upset if i mess up, if i did then i might as well stop now!

user23669
Reply : Sun 6th Apr 2014 22:23

It depends what you expect out of your game. When I a beginner playing Sturminster Marshall I struggled around there but my scores were consistently around my handicap but when I played harder courses I did get down hearted because I struggled to get near my handicap.

Eventually I learned to enjoy my game even when playing poorly but that is hard to do as I keep thinking I should do better. Just enjoy the harder course is all I can say really

user24437
Reply : Sun 6th Apr 2014 23:30

In my opinion you need to play better and better courses to improve your game. I've often play some old mates down in Essex who have played maybe 6 or 7 courses in their lives (as opposed to my 130 odd) but I can still take them on and more often or not beat them at their home course even though their handicaps are lower than mine - they've become stale and too used to the course they play on. They play socially (which is fair enough) and I play for the challenge.

More specifically I wouldn't say that Bondhay is a particularly difficult course (unless you're playing off whites with the wind against on the last three holes), especially for a high handicapper such as you Ashley, it's all about your mental approach to the game rather than talent. It's true that some of the holes can be a bit scary, but use your shots - the 9th is a good example. SI 4, par 5. Short drive, short lay up to the dogleg and another to the left front of the water, 4th over the pond and maybe a chip and a couple of putts for a 7 and it's a net par. As you get more experienced you can go for the green in 3, but it's not worth it until you get more confident about your ball striking.

Basically, learn to plot your way round a course, use the course planners (although Bondhay's is a bit rubbish) and GPS if you've got one - you've got 2 shots on 10 holes, use them.

user249902
Reply : Mon 7th Apr 2014 14:41

I love playing the more difficult courses, instead of just hitting the ball you have to think a little more.

I've only played Bondhay once and loved it, if I was in the area and free I'd certainly give it another go.

Try not to think of how many, that can wait until the nineteenth. If you play a bad hole forget about it, you can't change it. One shot at a time and the 100 barrier will be in reach before you know it.

user451055
Reply : Tue 8th Apr 2014 09:32

I learnt to play on a really difficult course and it hasn't damaged me (any more than I already was!). There are a couple of holes at Moortown that I despaired of every being able to play because of carries over rough/heather/ditches but after persevering and conquering them I now find I am able to play any course without being daunted by water, trees, rough or anything else they want to put in front of me. I highly recommend getting a handicap on a tough course. It will stand you in good stead elsewhere!

user425195
Reply : Wed 9th Apr 2014 18:13

It's all about attitude - what's the worst thing that can happen? (last time I checked there were no lions or crocodiles in this country) - i've played some top courses on a high handicap - my advice, play Stableford and pick your ball up if you can't score then you won't hold anyone up - but mostly, just have fun!

Oh and lastly, don't forget to stop and take a look around sometimes, the scenery around our best courses is stunning!

user577316
Reply : Sat 12th Apr 2014 13:24

Thanks for your replies guys, I'm just going to play wherever we decide to go wether it be a challenging course or not (suppose everywhere has it's challenges anyway) and take each shot has it comes relax and enjoy my game, going to get a lot of practice this summer and hopefully bring my handicap down this summer!

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top