Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Another Newbie!!

Posted by: user74435 | Sat 17th Nov 2007 13:17 | Last Reply

Greetings everyone!!

http://www.golfshake.com/user/view/24810/ ;

A chance to introduce myself!  My name is Steve and I live in Solihull in the West Midlands.  I'm only recently coming back to golf after a thirty year absence!  When I was seventeen, I used to play with my dad on the local courses around Birmingham - mainly Hill Top, over West Bromwich way.  Unfortunately, after about a year of playing he was taken ill and couldn't play - it wasn't the same without him so I stopped playing. 

Now, thirty years later I have twin sons who are seventeen and they forced me (not using too much force) to go out with them for a laugh.  It's funny, but I never realised how much I enjoyed playing golf until three months ago, I started playing again.  I'm a little ashamed to say that my whole kit - irons from 2 to 9, wedge, sand wedge, a number 1 and 3 wood, putter, bag, shoes, balls and more tees than you can shake a mashie niblick at, cost me the princely sum of £125!! :o)  Just goes to show that you don't have to spend a fortune to get started!  Okay, so they aren't Ping, Taylor Made or Nike but they're mine!

I started with frustrating rounds of 120 to 130 (I consoled myself with the fact that I was getting value for money by having more shots than anyone else!!) and was constantly hooking, slicing and topping the ball to the point where I thought golf was going to give me a heart attack!  But over the weeks since then, I've noticed that it's happening less and less and as you can see from my rounds since I registered on here, I'm now regularly hitting scores in the 90's and my online handicap on here has dropped to 23 although I'm not very much into the technicalities of how that all works!

So, let's get through the winter and hopefully next summer I can meet up with some of you for a game during the week.  I work shifts on a four on, four off basis so my days off roll through the weeks making weekday games eminently possible!  I like to think I'm sociable and good company while playing golf (although there is the occasional swear word that slips out!) and would love to play with people better than me so I can iron out wrinkles and creases in my game.

Looking forward to it!!

Steve

re: Another Newbie!!
user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Sat 17th Nov 2007 14:49

Welcome back to golf and welcome to golfshake Steve.  I'm also in Solihull and probably playing the same courses as you (I'm at Hilltop tomorrow).  I only started around two years ago so I'm around about where you are at the moment, although I'm rebuilding my swing at the moment and struggling a bit.  I can get Friday afternoons in (including the next three weeks) so we could meet up for a local nine if you want. 

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top