Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Poor treatment at Pryors Hayes Golf Club

Posted by: user546773 | Wed 7th Aug 2013 13:30 | Last Reply

How long should a 4 ball on buggies take to get around 18 holes on a 5000 yard par 69 course, well we took 3 hours and 50 minutes to play Pryors Hayes in Tarvin, Cheshire yesterday and then got soundly reprimanded by the members who thought it was too slow, sorry but we had a very enjoyable game and took what we considered a reasonable amount of time to get around, as 4 visitors we were very insulted and would urge anyone considering a game there to stay clear as they quite obviously don't want visitors

Last edit : Wed 7th Aug 2013 13:30
re: Poor treatment at Pryors Hayes Golf Club
user43763
Reply : Wed 7th Aug 2013 13:39

Don't mean to upset anyone but that does sound rather a long time for a short course with buggies. playing off 8 Id of thought u fly round, I do a 6000 yard course regularly in 3 hrs 15, with a playing partner and that's carrying our bags. I don't know the course though so you may well have the right to feel hard done by

user80078
Reply : Wed 7th Aug 2013 18:48

I would have told the 'members' (and they sound like it) where to stick their golf balls had they had the temerity to criticise my play. Can I suggest you find a course that will welcome you and enjoy your contribution to their funds. Most clubs are so hard up these days they can't really afford to be choosy or so critical of paying guests....

user451055
Reply : Thu 8th Aug 2013 08:39

When we get visitors at Moortown we always give them plenty of time as they have paid their green fees and have every right to enjoy the round rather than rushing round. If you are playing a new course then you quite often take longer as you aren't familiar with it. Especially with all the rough and heather to contend with. So long as visitors let people through who are playing quicker then it isn't a problem.

If there is an expectation of high speed rounds then they should have told you that in the pro shop.

We once took over 6 hours on a round in New Zealand but the course was over 9000m! The distance green to tee was enormous and we were recommended a buggy but preferred to walk. It was in the Queenstown area so we took masses of stunning pictures. We didn't hold up anyone as there were only 4 other groups on the course all day. They all played through us and we had a fantastic time. It was a hugely expensive green fee and we wanted to savour every minute of it.

user21179
Reply : Thu 8th Aug 2013 11:26

I don't think 3.50 is hugely long for a 4 ball on a new course, even if you were in buggies and the course was short. As others have said, 20-30 minutes quicker would probably be better, but not to the point that you deserved the treatment you received. As for 2.29 Dave, you are taking the issue of slow play the other way to the extreme, how could 4 of you enjoy yourself at that pace ? The simple way to address your treatment other than a phone call or email to the club is to vote with your feet and wallets and not return. Greenfees are becoming more and more important to clubs with the weather and drops in membership over the past couple of years, so gaining a reputation for treating visitors badly will not be something they want. As long as you were observant and let people through, you were not in the wrong in my opinion. Most importantly though, remember that it is more than likely individuals rather than club policy, so just think how much more you enjoy your golf than they do !! Losers.

user467588
Reply : Thu 8th Aug 2013 12:01

I still think that buggies slow play down as you don't head straight shot to ball unless you have a buggie to yourself...

Myself, as long as you are keeping up with the group in front, I can't understand the problem...

user106712
Reply : Thu 8th Aug 2013 12:57

Did you hold up the group behind? If so, why didn't you let them play through? If not , then there's no problem!

user43763
Reply : Thu 8th Aug 2013 13:15

A nice line I heard during the british open was "its your job to keep up with the group in front, not stay ahead of the group behind" I really took that to heart when I heard it. Its a common situation though that the group behind catched you as your teeing off and thinks your playing slowly when they haven't seen the group in front of you just walk off the green. I played a few weeks ago behind a team playing in a 4 ball texas scramble and they were using buggies! ive never been so frustrated on the course in all my life but as they were in the comp I kept my mouth shut, complain to the club - couple free rounds might be offered, what u got to loose!

user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Thu 8th Aug 2013 14:48

Alun, if you ever come along to a Golfshake event I had the motto printed everywhere!

'keep up with the group in front, not stay ahead of the group behind'

Adrian I'm with you and time can be irrelevant so long as you are fully aware of your pace and what is going off on the course.

Did you hold up the group behind? If not , then there's no problem!

user38216
Reply : Thu 8th Aug 2013 19:49

Pratting around between shots is the mother of slow play. Play your ball, then get ready to play your ball! Not too difficult....practice swings WTF is that all about, hit the damn ball!!!!

Last edit : Thu 8th Aug 2013 19:49
user504404
Reply : Fri 9th Aug 2013 18:36

Pro's on the tv are to blame for slow play gathering pace in the amateur ranks.

All their so called guru's/head coaches advise them to not start their pre shot routine until their playing partners have played - ******* stupid and this leads to 5hour plus rounds and even worse!

Actually penalise them for slow play instead of putting them on the clock which just results in them speeding up until they are taken off the clock.

user43763
Reply : Fri 9th Aug 2013 22:14

Agree with nigel ^^^^^

user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Sat 24th Aug 2013 19:56

If the course was empty then I would say you should have gone around the golf course faster than you did.

Waiting to play your shot will slow you down!

As long as you are ready to play your shot the moment the group in front are out of range then you are keeping up with the group in front.

If the group behind you catch up with you on the tee then they should be able to work out that you have had to wait to play your shots.

Obviously, I'd say let the players who don't hit the ball as far tee off when it's safe for them to do so. Let the big hitters tee off last.

Russ

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top